Remington 700 Triggers

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by jasmith1101, Dec 30, 2010.

1. jasmith1101

jasmith1101 Active Member

I have a Remington 700 SPS in 7mm Magnum. I purchased this gun new in 2005 I believe. The trigger in this gun feels awful. I know that in the older 700's that the trigger can be adjusted but I'm not sure about these newer ones. Has anyone adjusted these newer triggers? Is it worth it to mess with it or would I be better off to just replace it with an aftermarket trigger?

2. jasmith1101

And before it gets asked, I would not be doing this work myself.

3. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Well....If your serial number starts with a prefix of D or higher....buy a trigger.

The triggers on Remingtons that had no prefix could be adjusted to a very nice setting....A prefix or B prefix weren't bad...some of the C's also aren't bad....but late C's and after....forget about it.

4. Wes Ramsey

Wes Ramsey Well-Known Member

I've heard a lot of good things about the Rifle Basix triggers. Midway has a good selection. They aren't hard to install.

5. belliott

belliott Well-Known Member

I've always used Timiney and Jewell triggers. I have no complaints

6. dirtdart

Take these guys' advice....get a trigger.

7. gregrn43

gregrn43 Well-Known Member

NEA
    Same here:biggrin:

8. mossyhorn

mossyhorn Well-Known Member

I did my own trigger work on a newer 700 in 243 and it turned out great. Im not a gun pro but i have worked on alot of 700's and was confident in what i was doing. If you do it yourself make sure you use locktite on the adjustment screws and make sure the striker can't be tricked into falling. Make sure you can slam the bolt home several times and nothing happens.

9. dirtdart

The mistake people make when they do their own trigger adjustments on Remingtons is with the sear engagement screw (rear facing screw).

They read these adjustment secrets posted on-line that tell them to cock bolt and turn screw till rifle fires and back out a turn and a half. WRONG! Bad advice.

There is a reason there is a small hole in the trigger housing to view sear engagement. Look. Make sure there is a minimum of 3/32nds" of engagement with the sear.

Remington triggers are solid triggers. They can't be "tricked" into firing. If they fire when they're not suppose to it's because they're not adjusted properly.

10. jasmith1101

Thanks for the input fellas. It's looking like I am going to have to start saving up to get one of the Jewel triggers. Seems as if that is the way to go though.