Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was turning the pages in a new hunting cataloge and I came across something that really caught my eye. Remington has a new "Steel Load Barrel" for the trusty 1100.

Accroding to the ad, with this barrel and a NON magnum receiver you can shoot up to 3" magnum steel loads. You cannot shoot 3" lead loads!

I am really interested in upgrading for duck season. This barrel listed for $239! That is a heck of a deal for an automatic shotgun! An 11-87 (2 3/4" and 3" only) would cost you three or four times that amount!

I have an 870 SuperMag for geese and Turkey, but 3" would be fine for everything else.

Any thoughts, can this really be true? What are your thoughts?

Anyone have any expirence with this new barrel?

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
It's got a 3" chamber but it's only rated for steel shot and NOT for lead shot. I guess that makes sense, considering lead weighs considerably more by volume than steel, but the potential for accidentally loading lead loads is high.

That's the first I've heard of this one. I wonder if anybody had played with this idea?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've got one, I got it from Gander Mountain years ago.

Mine was a 26" vent rib with the interchangeable chokes. I got it to replace the 30" barrel that came with it.

That way I could I could use different chokes depending on the situation.

For years it was very hard to get an aftermarket barrel for a 3 inch receiver, but you could get a 2 3/4 " all day long. When steel came out, the used the term "steel shot" barrel to distinguish between the 2 3/4 and the 3 inch.

Now here's the thing. Just because a 3 inch barrel can go on a 2 3/4" receiver doesn't mean its a good idea to do it. The reason that they don't recommend shooting lead with it is because a 3" shell will have a hard time ejecting from the ejection port, which was made for a 2 3/4" shell.

Otherwise, if you are putting a 3" barrel on a 3" receiver, you'll be fine and you can shoot both lead and steel through it with no issues.I've been doing it for years.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2 3/4" Remington 1100 now. It is a 2 3/4 only. But I thought this would allow me to step up to 3 inch steel loads for ducks.

I have an 870 SuperMag if I need hotter loads. But for a vast majority of the time a 3" steel load would work great.

What can I say, I love my 1100. I shoot it a ton (over two cases of ammo in the last week), and I would like to hunt ducks with it. But there is a difference between 2 3/4 and 3 inch loads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.