Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend is the youth turkey hunt statewide! If you get the urge to go out scouting on public land, remember that the youth may be out there hunting. DO NOT try to call birds this weekend on public land.

A few years ago I had a bird working in to my son, when two grown men came in and started calling to the bird we were working. They got too close and spooked off a nice longbeard before I could work him into 20 gage range.

I left a detailed note on thier truck explaining what I would do if I EVER caught them in the woods alone. They had parked behind me and walked in right on top of us.

All of that happened in Sylamore on public land during the youth hunt.

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
Selfbow all I can sad is that is SAD! Really Sad! I sure hope this weekend you dont emcounter any Peckerwoods! Sad thing is allot of folks will do this KNOWING they maybe messing up a youth hunt!:censored: Its a shame these younguns cant experience what we use to years ago- alil respect from fellow hunters!

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
I'm carrying the nephew this weekend, but just found out some num-nut scheduled a baseball tournament this weekend as well. We got till 8am Saturday morning to get it done :smack: Hopefully Sunday we'll be able hunt longer.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
For someone to do that to a kid is inexcusable. Why didn't they just come up there and steal his gun while they were at it. For some reason, I thought there was a rule about scouting during the youth season, but I may be wrong. It should be something added for turkey season. It would be hard to enforce during gun season, due to bowhunters.

Our local NWTF Chapter gave away a "guided" youth hunt this weekend on a local hunting lease. The young man has never turkey hunted, but won the hunt and gun at our banquet, so we're excited about getting him on some gobblers. Hopefully we can post some pics on Monday.

Good luck to all and be safe this weekend.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
The pa-in-law is taking my eldest (9 year old daughter) this weekend on his own private land. I hope they are alone in that neck of the woods, but there are some slimy poacher types down the road that could cause trouble. I can't be sure the old man wouldn't blast one of those jerks if he had the chance....

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
Folks its a shame what this has turned out to be:smack: People PURPOSELY interrupting a Youth hunt come on! Turkey hunting on public land is getting to be a issue- why cant be treat others the way they want to be treated!Makes no sense to a old fart!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm taking my nephew Saturday morning. His first time ever to turkey hunt. Needless to say he is quite excited. I hope we get him one, and I'll sure be proud to post some pics and share with you all. Gonna have to "rush" the hunt a bit cause I got to get on to Texas Motor Speedway to watch #20 spank someone!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
We argue about ethics in many threads, your ethics, my ethics. I think the world of turkey hunting, especially the youth hunt, requires high ethics on all hunters. You can cause hard feelings, lost turkeys, dangerous situations, all without really breaking any laws . Lets all have high ethics, and allow the youth hunters their chance before regular season starts. Then carry those same ethics on, with respect, and considerance, to fellow adult hunters.

·
Registered
36 Posts
im geting my dad to take me and a buddy of mine but lol he cant call a turkey as good as me so im going to be trying to get 2 gobblers up and me and my buddy shoot both so im hopeing i can get 2 to come up

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Dustin, good luck this weekend and remember to always be safe. Just remember to send us the pictures of the two big gobs you guys get!

·
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck to all this weekend!

Remember to make it fun for the youth and be safe!

And take lots of pics

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
The simple things, but important:

Spray the kids down with off
Always keep an eye on the gun and safety.
Keep the kids close to you
Make sure they have fun wether they kill or not

Good Luck :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts