Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is a .270 a good deer rifle? i dont know much about guns but i just bought a .270 and just want to get your thoughts on it. i usually just bow hunt but alot of my buddies hunt with rifles and i wanted to be able to expand my hunting adventures to the open fields too.

·
Administrator
81,378 Posts
It's about as good as you can get for most North American game. We have one ole boy on the board that thinks they are pretty good... :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
is a .270 a good deer rifle? i dont know much about guns but i just bought a .270 and just want to get your thoughts on it. i usually just bow hunt but alot of my buddies hunt with rifles and i wanted to be able to expand my hunting adventures to the open fields too.
A .270 should work just fine for you.Shoots fast and flat.A good deer buster.
I like a 7mm08 myself.That with ballistic silvertips,I'm losing my blood-trailing skills.Cause the deer does'nt go far enough to need them.Shot a 10-point this year,and found half of a lung 5 yards from where I shot him.He went 5 more.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
A .270 will do anything you want it to do, within reason. ELK at 600 yards ..... NO ! But deer out to 350 or 400 yards yes..... Elk to 250 to 300 yards.... sure..... It is a very accurate round, and the recoil is not punishing.

I believe you made a fine choice, and yes, it is different from bow hunting , but it is still exciting in it's own right. The hardest thing to get used to, in their differences, is that the deer doesn't have to be close enough to be able to spit on it to kill it. ANd you also have to learn to judge you deer ( quality ) at a distance through a scope. But man..... the power is incredible.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Yes, a 270 is a good choice for deer. It would be adaquate for any North America game but I thnink I would want something with a bit more punch if I was hunting something that is big and bites back. You should enjoy the 270.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
I'm not a fan of the .270 but I think it most likely has more to do with cutting my teeth on the 30.06 than it does with anything else, but the .270 is an excellent choice for a deer rifle.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
A .270 will allow you to hunt just about any animal in the lower 48, but I would probably draw the line at grizzly. I lived in MT for 3 years, and most of the locals had a .270, that they hunted deer, elk, and antelope with. I hunted with a .280, so not much difference other than .007.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
It's about as good as you can get for most North American game. We have one ole boy on the board that thinks they are pretty good... :biggrin:
:exactly: :first:

I'm not a fan of the .270 but I think it most likely has more to do with cutting my teeth on the 30.06 than it does with anything else, but the .270 is an excellent choice for a deer rifle.
Dang possum, do we need to meet at the Piggly Wiggly store and work this out? :fit:

.270Win

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I've never owned one but know a BUNCH of people who do.....and love em. I'd venture to say that in the last 15 yrs., it's been one of the fastest growing calibers (popularity wise). I shoot a .30-06, but it's probably because.......well, because I've been shooting one for umpteen years. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Hey at least I said it was an excellent choice and not what I tell Clarence and my ex-BIL...."If ya'll get tired of shootin a ladies rifle I've got an ought six you can borrow." :biggrin:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I feel that .30 caliber cartridges transfer energy better. The .270 Win is a good cartridge, but I think a 30-06 is a better choice.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I feel that .30 caliber cartridges transfer energy better. The .270 Win is a good cartridge, but I think a 30-06 is a better choice.
Out of the 16 bucks in a row that I've killed with my .270, I don't think any of them had time to be happy that they got hit with a .277 caliber bullet instead of a .30 caliber bullet. :thumb:

.270Win

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gkcbowhunter: what did you get it in? single shot, bolt, or semi auto? i love my .270's. I have on in bolt action and in single shot. I really like the 130 and 140gr bullets.

i got a bolt action and i'm shooting a 150 grain and i'm dead on at 100 and half an inch low at 200. it came with a scope on it (bushnell sharpshooter) but it sucked it wouldnt hold any kind of pattern so i sent it back to bushnell and bought a center point 16x50 and put it on and it shoots great. any body know much about that scope? i will never put any bushnell products on a gun again i know some people swear by them but once i get a bad one i'm done so i'm sorry to all the bushnell fans.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
I've had good luck with an Elite Series scope made by Bushnell.

.270, your right. Dead is dead regardless and like I said it's an excellent choice just not mine. But of course what fun would it be if we all shot the same thing....right. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts