Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 150 pieces of brass in .300 savage that i'm trying to reload. I've got a lee challenger press. I've got the lee dies for it as well. Including the lee case gauge/trimmer. Which gets me to the point:

I've measured some of my brass after running it through the sizing die. Some are less then max length (1.871 inches) and some are greater. So I take the ones that are too long and run it through the case gauge/trimmer. Then I put it back on my caliper and the length is still too long (1.875).

So where am I going wrong. If it were .004 short I wouldn't worry. But too long is different, right???

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
When you resize it are the case necks sticking? If you are not lubricating the inside of the neck just a little you may be stretching the neck out some when you pull your handle up. That's if I understood your question, lots of time I don't understand much, you can check the ball and chain of mine...d2

·
Registered
115 Posts
If your brass comes from different sources be aware each manufacturer's brass can be a different length. As such when you reload seating will vary. To ensure uniform seating you'll need to trim ALL to the same length, either manually or on a machine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I got caught up with the private land hunt and what not. I had both these issues. One I was not lubricating the inside of the case neck well enough. That was causing some distortion. Then I separated the cases out by manufacturer and sure enough they were all different. I can get REALLY obsessive about stuff and was trying to just get it done. So, lesson learned, obsessive is good, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Made a couple dozen after figuring that stuff out; and then went and took home a doe with it! thanks for the assist, fellers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.