Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I went and did the concealed carry class this past Saturday. She has a .380 but she shoots better with my S&W Tactical .40 so I am thinking about getting her a .40. Between the two of us we will burn too much to keep buying OTC so I am thinking about reloading. What would I need and how much would I need to buy/load to see an actual savings?

·
Administrator
87,242 Posts
How much do you think you will shoot in a year?? If you are only going to shoot a few boxes, it probably wouldn't be cost effective. If you are going to shoot 1,000 round or more per year, you might want to look into reloading.

·
Administrator
87,242 Posts
Like anything else, the sky is the limit. You can start off with a single stage pres and get completely set up to load one caliber for probably in the $200 to $250 range. Loading single stage will allow you to load maybe 100 rounds per hour. From there, you get into turret presses and progressives. I have two progressives and can load ~1000 rounds per hour or more. But the presses are a lot more expensive, too. You can get into a good progressive for ~$350, but you still need all the stuff that goes with it, powder scale, calipers, etc, etc, etc. With the progressive, you can probably get started for $500 to $600.

Where you will find your biggest savings in reloading is buying components in bulk. When I buy bullets, I buy anywhere form 5000 to 20K at a time. Same with primers and powder. A 1 pound jug of powder will run you ~$20. Buy 8# jugs and you can get them for less than $100 per jug, and the more you buy, the cheaper it gets.

Here is an example of what I use in my 40SW loads. Hard cast bullets at $40/1000. Hodgdon Titegroup powder, 8# for $96 (14,000 loads for 8# of powder. Primers in bulk for $19/1K.

Bullet, 4 cents, primer 1.9 cents, powder .6 cents. Total 6.5 cents per round, $6.50/100 rounds and $65 per 1000 rounds.

If you go down to your local gun shop and buy the components, here's how it will break down. 1# powder $20, 100 primers $2.50, 100 bullets $15. Bullet 15 cents, powder 1.1 cents and primer 2.5 cents. $18.60 per 100.

In the end, you'll have to be the one to decide if it is worth it to you to reload.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I'm glad Mr. C is on top of this one. I've never tried to break the price down, I figgered it would scare me to death!

Reloading is a relaxing, rewarding, and sometimes challenging hobby. It demands your total attention, unless you just enjoy un-planned explosions. I've always had a little self-reliant streak, so making my own ammo appeals to me for it's own sake. I'm still the newbie at the reloading bench, so I just watch these posts and read what Mr. C has to say. I've learned a lot!

·
Administrator
87,242 Posts
Bullets come from a caster in Memphis. Minimum order is 20K, but we usually have several from the club that go in on a bullet order. Powder and primers from Powder Valley. Same here, there is several from the club that go in together and buy. If we order over 200 #, we get a break on shipping and they pay the Haz-Mat fee. We break shipping down between all that order.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I reload .40 and .45 for IDPA and USPSA shooting and get most of my stuff besides bullets at powder valley inc and I get the lead from the bullet works in Van Buren.... I probably shoot 600-1,000 rounds a month and find reloading is a huge savings plus I get to tailor my loads to the sport I'm shooting that day (.40/.45 major for USPSA and .40 minor/.45 major for IDPA. I spend around 9 cents a round on .40 and 11 cents or so per .45 round round.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I buy my bulk bullets, primers and powder at the gunshows held at the fairgrounds in Little Rock. No shipping fees or haz-mat fees. As far as getting started you can buy Lee kit for about $100 plus dies or a RCBS kit for around $250. I started and loaded for 4or5 years with the Lee kit. Then I upgraded to a heavier press (Lee Classic Cast) but still use some of the stuff from the original kit. Some folks dont like Lee stuff, but its served me well.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.