Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the economy looking bleak, and everything else hanging in limbo, I think it is time I start loading my own ammo. I have never done this, but I have a good friend that does and he is willing to teach me all the ins and outs.

That being said, I was wanting some advice on any good instructional reading material, videos, articles, or other advice that will help me along the way. Any would be appreciated. Anything from equipment, procedures, recommendations- any useful advice.

I can't afford any of the real fancy stuff nor do I need it. I plan on only loading 4 or 5 different rounds.

So pretty much any help with the basics would be helpful.

·
Registered
225 Posts
A good reloading manual has a world of info, but a good buddy that is a exp.
reloader is a must, they will know all the tricks, presses are cheap on ebay
and maybe a deal or two on dies and other acc. Good Luck

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
this may seem strange to the Reloaders with all the fancy presses and progressive presses and such.....things have come a long way since I started reloading in the late 60's....although I quit in the 80's, because of job demands, I just didn't have the time...........anyway, back to the point...a Lee Loader, is an easy/inexpensive way to start out........they are time comsuming, but they do the trick, and then as your budget can afford the newer things...just an idea....

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
I bought the Lee Classic Single Stage Kit, $79 and I had everything, except some essential stuff like, powder, bullet and cases. One thing I would recommend is digital scales. The kit came with the sliding scale, but I purchased digital scales on my own, I just feel safer when it comes to charging the cases. I am only reloading .308 at the moment, but I am having a blast. I would definetly pick up The ABCs or Reloading, it has helped out a bunch. Good luck!

·
Administrator
87,241 Posts
I would definetly pick up The ABCs or Reloading, it has helped out a bunch. Good luck!
That is probably the best book a person wanting to get into reloading can get. Read it cover to cover about 3 times and you'll have a good idea on how to be prepared to get into reloading. It's also a great reference guide for experienced reloaders.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Two things that look expensive but can be had fairly cheap are digital scales and digital calipers. I got my digital scales for $35.00 at a gun show recently, and Harbor Freight often has sales on their calipers; mine were $17.00.

These two items have saved my eyes and a bunch of time.

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
I bought the Lee Classic Single Stage Kit, $79 and I had everything, except some essential stuff like, powder, bullet and cases. One thing I would recommend is digital scales. The kit came with the sliding scale, but I purchased digital scales on my own, I just feel safer when it comes to charging the cases. I am only reloading .308 at the moment, but I am having a blast. I would definetly pick up The ABCs or Reloading, it has helped out a bunch. Good luck!

I have the same kit. For about $200 total you can load @ 5 boxes of two different rifle rounds. I would also get a tumbler, I got mine at Sportsman's warehouse on sale for $35. After the initial cost and finding a load it is a bunch cheaper.

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
the kit come with the lock cutter and stud, of course i had to buy shellholders for each caliber i want to reload, i also got the length guage for each caliber so it trims the case also. I forgot about calipers! I also have a set of digitals and dial, both really good investments. I am in the process of working up loads for my Stevens 200 in .308. At 100 yards, I am getting in the .4's, thats with Remington brass, Hornady A-Max 168 bullets, and 43.6grains of Varget. I weighed each bullet also, picked 10 that weighed repeatedly 168.3grains. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Saving money on ammo by rolling your own is a novel idea, but don't get too attached to it. Like so many others I got into it for the same reason. Turns out I spend even more than I did on factory ammo because I not shoot a LOT more than I used to :wink: Just one of the catches. I really enjoy finding a load and working up a mess of them. The ABC's of Reloading is a really great read, and Mr. C got it right. Read it 2-3 times, but for sure at least once before your buddy shows you the ropes and then again afterwards. It'll make more sense that way so you have an idea of what he's doing and why, and then so you can start learning about other techniques he may not use.

·
Administrator
87,241 Posts
Saving money on ammo by rolling your own is a novel idea, but don't get too attached to it. Like so many others I got into it for the same reason. Turns out I spend even more than I did on factory ammo because I not shoot a LOT more than I used to .
That's the best part about reloading. You can shoot 2 to 3 times as much for the same $$.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.