Arkansas Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts
Want to sale it for cheap?
not yet. Another thing I have seen with multiple livescope crappie fisherman is they are targeting big fish - the prime spawners. I dont know that it matters - I would rely on creel surveys to determine if there is actually a negative impact on the resource - “follow the science” - seems like I heard that somewhere before

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Now a few months ago when I brought this same subject up when I talked to a G&F officer about it you guys told me it would never happen. Now y’all are changing your tune a little. I tried to give you guys a heads up!

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I’ve used them. And killed the crappie. I don’t crappie fish much therefore I’m not informed to make a decision on this. Crappie are prolific breeders. I’d think they could handle a good bit of harvest. More than a lot of fish. Time will tell

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
They could start a fishing club where no graphs are allowed period. Of course you’d still know where everything was on your home lakes but it would at least make it interesting. When I got out of the bass game I spent 70% of my day staring at a screen like a robot. I’ve watched fish fighting my jig pole on the live scope and was so zoned on the screen I was delayed flipping the crappie into the boat. Catching fish is fun but staring at a screen all day takes a little out of the experience IMO. But I don’t blame those who use them. They work plain and simple.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I see all sides of this deal and there IS some merit to all.

I see the side....where guys go out, catch a limit and go home. Then a few hours later they go back for another limit and go back home. I know a guy (actually a lot of us know this guy and I ain't telling who it is) who has done just that, using LS has improved his numbers-drastically.

There is a posession limit too, but to my knowledge exactly zero people have ever been busted for being over the total posession limit (not just the catch or daily limit).

But on the slip side not everyone who has it can use it (as) successfully. I currently do not own any electronics. I just know where to go for the most part. I fish to relax & enjoy nature, although that's becoming harder to do with all of the moronic pleasure boaters who have no idea nor desire how to respect others. Not all pleasure boaters are that way, but there are a few-and that's all it takes to ruin an angler's day. There is good reason that you ain't supposed to carry on Corps waters.

With LS, catch numbers are generally higher numbers and lot of times larger fish, and combine that with more people on the water catching them, the numbers will eventually show it. The gulf of Mexico has seen some negative numbers with certain species, Red Snapper being one, Gray Triggerfish being another. They have seasons for them. As many triggers as we caught last year I can't see how there'd be a reduction in numbers but I also know that we just hit the jackpot that day. Typical fishing-right place right time. We just happened to find them over a wreck and wore ourselves out (literally) catching triggers.

It is not only crappie. I see a lot of guys targeting basses, both white and black, and with limits abounding. I see guys all the time idling around certain areas looking for fish. Just drive around for an hour or so until you find an area that holds a few, then LS them and fill the box. It sounds easier than it really is, but there is no doubt LS does improve your game and that's where the AGFC is having to take a hard look. I don't see many targeting walleyes with LS although I'm sure there's a few out there. Few going after catfish too.

Wait and see game is here. Whats the AGFC going to do? Probably something based on what I've been hearing. But they also have to consider that not all of us are using electronics to our advantage like a few are. So putting a season up for Crappie would hurt all of us. Secondly, I'm not out there tightlining in 30 foot of water in the middle of summer over a brush pile for crappie, I'm trying to catch catfish. Greenjeans shows up and says why are you crappie fishing they're out of season? Let me check your box! Because of what I'm doing, I'm automatically "game" for a search. That'll happen. Nobody wants it either--I've been down that road where I used to live but it's the only way that the DNR was able to enforce regulations. Out there they did some weird stuff but they had to because so many people decided not to follow the rules, and the wardens were few and far between so a large majority of offenders never got caught. So they'd show up one time and bust 5 people, word got out. The penalties were pretty stiff too. After 2 years people were mostly following the rules. Some say it sucks. They all gripe and moan. But those laws are there for a reason. We are overpopulating the waterways and if we all keep a limit it won't take all that long in the grand scheme of things to decimate a population of fish. We've already seen it in the Gulf among other waters.

personally I do not use LS. I need to pick up some electronics mostly to pinpoint where I need to be (over a favorite brush pile) but that's all I would ever use it for. As said, fishing is supposed to be fun. Knowing that there are larger fish at a certain place at a certain time, and having a camera in the water so you can precisely place a lure into a fish's mouth turns the fun and relaxation to a different kind of fun. Now you have access to catching all the bigger fish you want/need as opposed to the challenge of "hey what's down there big'ns or lil'uns". I mean, some say you might as well just net or call them and be done with it but I don't see it that way. LS makes is a little easier but it's still a challenge, to find them and to get the lure where they want it, once that is found the successes can be great. LS just makes it easier and takes much less time to get to that point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I see all sides of this deal and there IS some merit to all.

I see the side....where guys go out, catch a limit and go home. Then a few hours later they go back for another limit and go back home. I know a guy (actually a lot of us know this guy and I ain't telling who it is) who has done just that, using LS has improved his numbers-drastically.

There is a posession limit too, but to my knowledge exactly zero people have ever been busted for being over the total posession limit (not just the catch or daily limit).

But on the slip side not everyone who has it can use it (as) successfully. I currently do not own any electronics. I just know where to go for the most part. I fish to relax & enjoy nature, although that's becoming harder to do with all of the moronic pleasure boaters who have no idea nor desire how to respect others. Not all pleasure boaters are that way, but there are a few-and that's all it takes to ruin an angler's day. There is good reason that you ain't supposed to carry on Corps waters.

With LS, catch numbers are generally higher numbers and lot of times larger fish, and combine that with more people on the water catching them, the numbers will eventually show it. The gulf of Mexico has seen some negative numbers with certain species, Red Snapper being one, Gray Triggerfish being another. They have seasons for them. As many triggers as we caught last year I can't see how there'd be a reduction in numbers but I also know that we just hit the jackpot that day. Typical fishing-right place right time. We just happened to find them over a wreck and wore ourselves out (literally) catching triggers.

It is not only crappie. I see a lot of guys targeting basses, both white and black, and with limits abounding. I see guys all the time idling around certain areas looking for fish. Just drive around for an hour or so until you find an area that holds a few, then LS them and fill the box. It sounds easier than it really is, but there is no doubt LS does improve your game and that's where the AGFC is having to take a hard look. I don't see many targeting walleyes with LS although I'm sure there's a few out there. Few going after catfish too.

Wait and see game is here. Whats the AGFC going to do? Probably something based on what I've been hearing. But they also have to consider that not all of us are using electronics to our advantage like a few are. So putting a season up for Crappie would hurt all of us. Secondly, I'm not out there tightlining in 30 foot of water in the middle of summer over a brush pile for crappie, I'm trying to catch catfish. Greenjeans shows up and says why are you crappie fishing they're out of season? Let me check your box! Because of what I'm doing, I'm automatically "game" for a search. That'll happen. Nobody wants it either--I've been down that road where I used to live but it's the only way that the DNR was able to enforce regulations. Out there they did some weird stuff but they had to because so many people decided not to follow the rules, and the wardens were few and far between so a large majority of offenders never got caught. So they'd show up one time and bust 5 people, word got out. The penalties were pretty stiff too. After 2 years people were mostly following the rules. Some say it sucks. They all gripe and moan. But those laws are there for a reason. We are overpopulating the waterways and if we all keep a limit it won't take all that long in the grand scheme of things to decimate a population of fish. We've already seen it in the Gulf among other waters.

personally I do not use LS. I need to pick up some electronics mostly to pinpoint where I need to be (over a favorite brush pile) but that's all I would ever use it for. As said, fishing is supposed to be fun. Knowing that there are larger fish at a certain place at a certain time, and having a camera in the water so you can precisely place a lure into a fish's mouth turns the fun and relaxation to a different kind of fun. Now you have access to catching all the bigger fish you want/need as opposed to the challenge of "hey what's down there big'ns or lil'uns". I mean, some say you might as well just net or call them and be done with it but I don't see it that way. LS makes is a little easier but it's still a challenge, to find them and to get the lure where they want it, once that is found the successes can be great. LS just makes it easier and takes much less time to get to that point.
Wish we had multiple successful stocking programs like texas has, agfc has done little to nothing in that regard and the fishing isn't what it could be livescope or no livescope, they continually discuss amongst their selves how to get more people to buy licenses and to me that answer is simple stock the lakes with fingerlings! Lake ouachita could be twice as popular as lake fork at nearly triple the size, if they would build a few stocking pond's within hundred yards of the lakes edge and drop several hundred thousand fingerlings into the lake every year and quit making the man made fish called striper, we'd have a world famous lake and arkansasns wouldn't travel to texas for fishing vacations they'd spend their money here. But until job's are cut and theirs no money to pay the people employed in those positions doubtful anything will change.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts