Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of refletching some arrows. These shafts have been reflecthed before. My question is do I run a risk of weakening the shaft by scraping the glue off? I dont want to stick a broken carbon shaft thru the ole arm dont you know!:eek::eek: I try to be careful not to get any deeper than the glue but I know I do sometimes.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOO ...... judgement call.

Of course the glue should always be cleaned off. Scraped then cleaned with a solvent. BUT if you are getting into the shaft, then it becomes dangerous, and no one can tell how bad it is ..... Better than you. I would not want to take a chance, but You also have to get the glue off. ....

What about cleaning them , and going back with the shring wrap fletchings on the ones you have ANY doubts about. The shrink fletchings would help to provide stability....... Just a thought....

Beyond that, brother... I don't know .... and I'm not sure anyone on here would tell you to go ahead and do it , and run the risk of being the person that cause you to use a bad shaft..... if ya know what I mean...:whistle:

MET

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
I sand the old glue off. Hit it with some fine grit paper, then steel wool, then clean it with acitone. You should not get into the shaft much at all that way. If you took out chunks, they are slivering off, or look anything but smooth and solid than chunk them. Shafts are cheap compared to medical bills.

Matter of fact, I'd sell you a brand new dozen Goldtip XT 5575's cut to 27 inches for $70 or swap you even for a new dozen shafts of the same. :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.