Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for those that have red dot scopes mounted on their turkey shotguns. I have a Truglo Gobblestopper I am putting on my 20ga this year. How far forward are you guys mounting your scopes? I have read a few other forums and most people seem to mount them pretty far forward on their receiver, a few mount them pretty far back.
What are the pro's/con's of each location? It seems like the further forward I mount it I can get on it quicker with more field of view.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have a Burris ff3 on my girls franchi and have it mounted far back, right as the receiver starts to flatten out and am in the process of having my super x4 drilled and tapped n will do the same. We don’t have any problems with them. And my girls are 7 and 9, I’ll prolly be doing the same with my dads 870 or tristar whichever he decides he wants as his turkey gun. I will say that just my experience, I can get on target and have better field of view with the holographic sight versus the red dot tube sight. But each person is different as well. If I was going with a red dot scope it would definitely be that one!

·
Premium Member
13,677 Posts
Scope location is going to be up to the individual shooter and how he/she holds their gun and their vision.. Mine is mounted a little forward because that's the best location for where/how my cheek and shoulder fit the gun and my eye (I wear glasses) can get the best focus the fastest..

·
Registered
970 Posts
The further back you go, the bigger field of view you get. Make a circle with your fingers and extend it in front of your eye, the closer you get to your eye, the more you can see through the hole. That’s how it will work for most low magnification scopes.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The further back you go, the bigger field of view you get. Make a circle with your fingers and extend it in front of your eye, the closer you get to your eye, the more you can see through the hole. That’s how it will work for most low magnification scopes.
I see what you’re saying and agree with you. The gobble stopper is non magnification and I will shoot with both eyes open though, so I really don’t want a large field of view in my scope. Rather, from what I can tell moving it forward and aft on my gun, the further forward lessens the amount of scope housing I am looking at and opens up my field of view with both eyes open. Like Polywog said it’s going to be different for whoever is shooting and there is not a right or wrong way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts