Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Yep. My thoughts exactly. Anyone who's thinks it is isolated to one small portion of the state is kidding themselves. It's already state wide and we are just waiting for confirmation
I don't believe it's statewide, and if it is found elsewhere I don't think you'll see that level of infection. The AGFC dropped the ball BAD.

I believe the CWD's origin source was the elk herd, but I guess we'll see what turns up around the state. Either way, it WILL be spreading...it's just too well established at this point.

Not good news...again.

·
Registered
30,666 Posts
I have no ideas, anymore. I'm just a passive reader and bystander from now on.

Surely the fish won't get it.............

·
Premium Member
29,735 Posts
We already have more than any other state found in their first year of detection. We have more than Missouri has had all total. We have either had it a very long time or we have the most virulent CWD ever. In either case, it is not good for hunters. Typically, whitetails die within six months of contracting the disease. Most likely, each one of those red dots would have been dead before bow season opened. And that is just what we know of.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
We already have more than any other state found in their first year of detection. We have more than Missouri has had all total. We have either had it a very long time or we have the most virulent CWD ever. In either case, it is not good for hunters. Typically, whitetails die within six months of contracting the disease. Most likely, each one of those red dots would have been dead before bow season opened. And that is just what we know of.
Crazy to think WE didn't even know we had any as of 5 weeks ago.

·
Member<br>The Member Formerly Known as Passthrough
7,658 Posts
So what's the plan once they decide its everywhere? I mean, killing more and more deer to test seems crazy once we know its widespread.

Do they kill ALL the deer and start over hoping it wont come back? If there is no cure, and no means of prevention, then what the heck do we do?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
So what's the plan once they decide its everywhere? I mean, killing more and more deer to test seems crazy once we know its widespread.

Do they kill ALL the deer and start over hoping it wont come back? If there is no cure, and no means of prevention, then what the heck do we do?
That's the big question.

ETA: They have to keep testing widespread across the state, hopefully it isn't everywhere yet, and we can attempt to slow the spread.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I know a veterinarian who used to do a lot of deer work. His theory (this was at least 10 years ago, long before it was discovered here, but after it was big out west) was that CWD has been here for decades, but no one has been checking for it, that it's a naturally occurring event, and that it's probably in every state. I have no evidence to support or dispute him as to how long it has been around. But it does seem like it must have been here a lot longer than we've been led to believe in order to have spread like it has.

·
Registered
20,570 Posts
With this kinda of spread, my question is why have we not heard from any hunters in the region who have seen sick deer. Was it written off has Blue tougue/EHD? I had a deer who fit the symptoms of really both back in late 90's. I walked up on the deer and it looked malnourished, eyes were spinning around, couldn't walk and I ended the ordeal for her. That was Sharp county back late 90's. Now could that have been CWD? Who knows. My other question is with this spread and it appears to have been here now for some time, I've never heard of any decline of numbers in that region.

·
Banned
13,931 Posts
With this kinda of spread, my question is why have we not heard from any hunters in the region who have seen sick deer. Was it written off has Blue tougue/EHD? I had a deer who fit the symptoms of really both back in late 90's. I walked up on the deer and it looked malnourished, eyes were spinning around, couldn't walk and I ended the ordeal for her. That was Sharp county back late 90's. Now could that have been CWD? Who knows. My other question is with this spread and it appears to have been here now for some time, I've never heard of any decline of numbers in that region.
There's been a lot of reports of sick deer ignored by AGFC in the area but our deer herd up here is growing!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.