Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I have a birthday coming up and I am really wanting to get a recurve. I dont know the first thing about them. Need some info on what kind would be a good one to get for a decent price and where I might look for one. Im not looking for anything fancy. Just something to sling some arrows in the backyard with and eventually take hunting. Any information would be useful. THANKS!

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Go to DNW and they probably have a couple of recurves you could string up and draw. They had some a year ago when I was last there. That would give you an idea about what draw weight you can shoot. Everyone you ask is going to tell you to get a 40 pound draw bow to learn with first. I wouldn't say that but don't buy a 60 pound bow to learn with unless you are a bodybuilder.

·
Registered
24,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go to DNW and they probably have a couple of recurves you could string up and draw. They had some a year ago when I was last there. That would give you an idea about what draw weight you can shoot. Everyone you ask is going to tell you to get a 40 pound draw bow to learn with first. I wouldn't say that but don't buy a 60 pound bow to learn with unless you are a bodybuilder.
Thanks Ill run by DNW and see what they have.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Give Elmer Patton at crow creek bows a call. he is out of wynne, ar. i purchased a blackfeather from him last year and could not be happier. super nice guy and beautiful bows that shoot great.

·
Registered
24,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I have a question. I have a 25" draw length, I know most recurves are rated at 28". How much will this hurt me? Would I be shooting enough poundage say with a bow that is 45 or 50lbs at 28" to kill a deer?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Ok I have a question. I have a 25" draw length, I know most recurves are rated at 28". How much will this hurt me? Would I be shooting enough poundage say with a bow that is 45 or 50lbs at 28" to kill a deer?
I believe most are around 11/2# per inch so a 45#@28 would be [email protected]
With a shorter draw you can get a heavier bow. or get one built for your draw length

·
Registered
24,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'll take what ever tips y'all throw my way. I don't know the first thing about recurves so I'll take any info y'all got. What about brands of bows?

·
Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi
9,131 Posts
I bought a hoyt dorado last year. Didn't know anything about recurves and still don't, but its the one that felt the best to me. Got a buddy that shoots one all the time and has a custom black widow and he said mine shoots better than his $1000 custom bow. And all the reviews I read were great when I bought it. Not trying to sell you on this particular bow, but its a shooter. I think they run around 400 new which ain't bad for a new bow. I love mine!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts