Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got an old bear kodiak magnum that belonged to my wife’s grandpa. Would like to get it fixed up to use. Anyone know where I could get it checked out and get the right gear for it??

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Does it have a string? Look at the bow from end to end like sighting down a rifle, do the tips of the limbs line up or is it twisted? If the string is not frayed and the bow/limbs aren't twisted you should be good to go. That's a great bow do not dry fire it. Go to Walmart and buy the cheapest arrows you can find and some points and shoot it. It's a recurve bow not a high powered weapon even if it breaks it's likely no one will be hurt. Please post some pictures of the bow.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I’m going to start by getting a new string and stringer. Bow seems to be straight. Doesn’t seem to have any twists in it.
there is a guy that has an ebay page that makes my strings , for the price i cant buy the materials and make a jig , ill see if i can find the last ones i ordered and get his name or just search flemish twist bow string, brace height will make a big differnece in the bow too , may find info on what bear recomends some where online or start at 7 1/2” and shoot and go from there twisting the string to adjust brace height

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
please dont shoot those light weight carbons out of it... get a heavier arrow so that it is not like dry firing the bow. make sure you get feathers instead of vanes. and see if you can meet up with someone to get the right arrow tuned for it. makes it a lot more feasible to shoot with a trad bow if the arrows are flying anywhere near straight (not kicking wildly on release). you can get by with the cheapest aluminum arrows you can find, for the safety of the bow, but not the cheapest carbon arrows at walmart 9they are just too light)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts