Recommendations on an out of state hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by backstraps, Dec 26, 2010.

1. backstraps

backstraps Well-Known Member

I'm looking to go out of state for a 3 day hunt. I want admin area with a lot of birds and semi guided.i do not want a guide by my side. I also don't want to pay for a fancy lodge and bar. I'll pay whatever but I just care about the gobblers.

I'm thinking Kansas, Ok, Nebraska, MO...do you all have any specific guides you would recommend?

2. Hooked Spurs

Hooked Spurs Well-Known Member

I can't help you there. We hunt public or gain access to private everywhere we go. Someone on here surely can help though. Have you researched any on the net? All those states should have plenty to choose from. Northern MO would be a good place to look.

3. spur

spur Moderator-Razorback Forum<br>Sports

nwar
    Try the reservations in NE . Lots of birds small tresspass fee and good hunts. Can't remember the name of the guy I went with or I would share it. I've had a couple of good hunts on public land out there too.

4. backstraps

backstraps Well-Known Member

Any other suggestions?

5. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

I been going to Missouri pass couple of years on the Mark Twain WMA an have gotten my brids every year. Tags an Lic. info on there web site an there are birds up there. :up:

6. Clear_Shot

Clear_Shot Well-Known Member

There is a town in SW Nebraska called McCook. There is a single motel there called The Chief (or something like that). You can go to almost any farmer within 25 miles and ask to hunt and they will gladly let you hunt their property for Turkeys.
    We found a farmer that his exact words was "Kill everyone of them, I'm tired of them eating all my deer food at my feeders".
    When we went out we found Merriams, Rios, and a hybrid of the two. It was a great hunt. And we've gone back the past 3 years.

7. biggobs

biggobs Well-Known Member

I have heard more than a few in the NWTF call Woodward County Oklahoma (NW Oklahoma) the turkey capital of the U.S.!!!! I have never been but know of several guys that go every year & hear 100+ gobblers a day. They have shown me footage of 60-70 longbeards (not to mention a wad of jakes & hens) in one wheat field strutting all over the place. I was amazed. The Hunter Specialtes guys use to & may still go with a guy that was really good & does self guided hunts in these areas. I don't remember the name but if you email Phillip Vanderpool at Hunter Specialties I am sure you can ask him the incredile place in OK they have been that has tons of turkeys in the wheat fields & he can get you the outfitters name.

8. bodi925

bodi925 Well-Known Member

tn
    Out of state hunt

I have hunted in Woodward 3 times and have never seen or heard as many turkeys in my life!!!!!!!!! Its unbelievable!! I have hunted in a bunch of states but none like this place. :biggrin: :up:

9. belliott

belliott Well-Known Member

I don't know of any guided hunts.

Mark Twain in Missouri is pretty good and the sportman pits in Baxter Springs Kansas is better. No guide needed.

The birds up there seem to be depressed and they beg you to shoot them. :thumb:

10. GOBBLERSTOPPER

GOBBLERSTOPPER Well-Known Member

The best place in my opinion is the Mark Twain in Missouri no doubt.. You want to kill a turkey, go there... Or you could stay in Arkansas and hunt because Arkansas is over-populated with turkeys!!:doh:

11. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

I was planning a trip to Mississippi but with my new work schedule I dunno if its going to happen. Their season opener is March 6 which if you think about is when all the birds around start getting cranked up

12. biggobs

More than not in MS on opening week they haven't even started yet. It's too early but it has been tradition to open early there for many years so it's unlikely they will change it to a little later like it should be. Last year opening week they weren't ready, the 2nd week they hadn't started good either. I went for a couple days last year & killed one big one but they didn't start gobbling good till after I left which was late in either the 2nd week or 3rd week.

13. biggobs

I found the web address I was telling you about above. The guys name is Todd Rogers with www.rutnstrutguideservice.com in Western Oklahoma. Very reasonably priced & truly phenomenal turkey hunting.

14. Hooked Spurs

Hooked Spurs Well-Known Member

You are right on. From our experiences, AL & MS seem to be similar. While gobbling turkeys can be found and are huntable, I think the best turkey hunting is almost always April 1st and later. Locals we know in both states will tell you that. Bigobs and I spent 3 or 4 days a couple of years ago in MS the first week of season with a friend. Quite a few turkeys in the areas we hunted, but gobbling was slim to none. Have seen years like that in AL as well. We have had good success at times, but it is always a hit or miss deal that early. Most times we have had to adjust hunting approach and do more sitting and waiting. The good thing is that with our later opener, it allows better opportunity to go that direction around April 1st or later without interfering with our season. I have always wanted to go the first week in April, so may get the opportunity now.

15. Dermott

Dermott Well-Known Member

Spur -

In your note you mentioned "NE". Did you mean NE Oklahoma or Nebraska or where? Which Indian tribe?

Thanks,

Steve/"Dermott"

16. Ticket Master

Ticket Master Well-Known Member

biggob, i agree with you. the birds usually arent ready in MS when season starts. however its almost like you could split the state in half using Jackson as you divider. Jackson south the birds are ready on opening day. North of Jackson they are not

17. TheMax

TheMax Member

Look up J Hook Guide Service in South Alabama on the internet for reasonable 3-day hunts in Alabama and Tennessee for guided or semi-guided hunts.

18. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

Thats good info biggobs I may just plan that trip for later in the month then,if I can get off work:banghead: Do you know where I can find any kinda info on the top counties to hunt or the best WMA's?

19. biggobs

I killed mine on private land after hunting for a little bit on some public ground. I wouldn't recommend the pubilc I went to but if I were you I would just call the MS Game Dept. & ask to speak to the state turkey biologist. They know where the good hatches were (if they had any) the prior few years.

20. jublain

jublain Well-Known Member

We go to Northeast Kansas and hunt some private land but mostly walk-in hunting areas and always kill birds.