Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new grill. Not sure if I want to go with a nicer gas grill or a basic charcoal grill. What are you using, and how do you like it? My old gas grill cooked unevenly and would flame up every time the burgers would drip!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Saw a Grill at Sports Academy last weekend that really has my interest. It was a combination Charcoal, Gas Grill and Smoker. I prefer Charcoal, but sometimes when you are pushed for time a Gas Grill is nice, fast and easy. And really like the idea of being able to use smoker on the Charcoal side to smoke my Ribs. Would be interested to know if any one has used one of these and how they like them.

·
Premium Member
8,658 Posts
I have the side by side gas/charcoal. I use charcoal 85% of the time but like MB said, sometimes you need a quick burger that gas is nice

·
Administrator
74,981 Posts
I'm in the market for a new grill. Not sure if I want to go with a nicer gas grill or a basic charcoal grill. What are you using, and how do you like it? My old gas grill cooked unevenly and would flame up every time the burgers would drip!
Get both. I have both on my deck and use one or the other just about every weekend.

·
Premium Member
26,137 Posts
I have had high dollar and low dollar. This is what I own now and like better than any grill I have had. It has plates with little holes in them under the grates that absolutely prevent flare ups.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392943779.435180.jpg

It has a nice side burner that comes with a griddle. Design flaw - a pound of bacon will fill it with grease and then you have to figure out how to dump it. I think I paid mid $300's. Gas.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392943911.866905.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392943932.469556.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
You definitely want at least a charcoal grill. I've got a weber one touch kettle grill. Nothing like a steak over charcoal. And I can slow smoke some mean ribs on it too.

If I had the money and didn't already have three grills sitting on my back porch, I'd have a Holland grill. A little pricey but extremely versatile.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
And something else I have been experimenting with lately is using a cast iron griddle on my gas grill. I've cooked bacon and eggs on it and that is GOOD. And eliminates the flare up.

·
Member<br>The Member Formerly Known as Passthrough
7,658 Posts
You definitely want at least a charcoal grill. I've got a weber one touch kettle grill. Nothing like a steak over charcoal. And I can slow smoke some mean ribs on it too.

If I had the money and didn't already have three grills sitting on my back porch, I'd have a Holland grill. A little pricey but extremely versatile.
Don't those Hollands only have an on or off mode? No temp control, right?

·
Member<br>The Member Formerly Known as Passthrough
7,658 Posts
I may be wrong, but I believe they have temp control, they just don't get very hot. 350-375 I think is about as hot as they get.
I had always heard they were awesome, but that's what got me. I like to cook hot sometimes.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I had always heard they were awesome, but that's what got me. I like to cook hot sometimes.
My brother in law has one, and it will flat cook some food. It's a different style, like an outdoor oven. You close the lid and don't open it again until it's done. Timed cooking, not by site.

·
Registered
10,032 Posts
I have a PK grill that is made in LR for my charcoal grill. My dad had one his whole life. The body of it is cast aluminum. It cooks great food. Once you buy it unless a tree falls on it you have it for life. Gas grills I burn out in a couple of years so I buy one that doesn't cost much. We grill half our supper meals if weather allows.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I have a PK grill that is made in LR for my charcoal grill. My dad had one his whole life. The body of it is cast aluminum. It cooks great food. Once you buy it unless a tree falls on it you have it for life. Gas grills I burn out in a couple of years so I buy one that doesn't cost much. We grill half our supper meals if weather allows.
PK is another good one. I wish they were a little bigger and I would have one.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
IMO the Weber charcoal grills are hard to beat. They have very good air control on top and bottom. The tops seal up good. You can set your air flow ( to control the heat ) and never have flame ups like most gas grills and el-cheapo charcoal grills

·
Premium Member
26,137 Posts
IMO the Weber charcoal grills are hard to beat. They have very good air control on top and bottom. The tops seal up good. You can set your air flow ( to control the heat ) and never have flame ups like most gas grills and el-cheapo charcoal grills
I guess I have not figured that out yet. I cook on my son's new Webber about once a month and still can't keep it from flaring. My last grill was a Webber and after the burners burned out for the second time in 8 years, I retired it. I had a jennaire before that and didn't like anything about it. Cooked on green eggs a lot and am not a fan of them. I agree that food tastes better on charcoal. But, charcoal is a lot more high maintenance cooking. If you have a relaxed life style with time on your hands or if your passion is grilling - charcoal is the way to go. If you never seem to have enough time on your hands, probably want to go with gas. Another thing to consider is most of the gas grills have a side burner (they are not all created equal). With my grill on a side burner, I can blacken some tuna, grill some for those who like it that way, and turn the burners down on the far side and have grilled vegetables. Another option if you elect charcoal - there are a lot of welders around who are very adept at making charcoal grills - heavy pipe that really hold the heat.

·
Registered
10,032 Posts
I'm going to inject a chicken in a few minutes and put it off the heat on the PK with some green applewood on for smoke. Supper will be ready about 5 while I'm doing some yard and garden work in this nice weather.

·
Premium Member
14,844 Posts
Just bought Lowe's version of the Big Green Egg today, cooking now.

Got to learn that ceramic is a different beast than metal grills!

·
Registered
10,032 Posts
I haven't used one but my huntin buddy just bought one of the infrared grills that cooks at 500 to 800 degrees and he claims it cooks the best gas grill steaks ever.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts