Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on using some 3 and 1/2 inch number 4's in my Remington 870 this year turkey hunting. My question is some say the recoil will be horrible with that combination and other say I will hardly notice it. I was wondering what some of your opinions are. I also thought about getting the TruGlo choke that is supposed to reduce recoil if needed.

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
I am planning on using some 3 and 1/2 inch number 4's in my Remington 870 this year turkey hunting. My question is some say the recoil will be horrible with that combination and other say I will hardly notice it. I was wondering what some of your opinions are. I also thought about getting the TruGlo choke that is supposed to reduce recoil if needed.
You will notice it shooting at paper. You'll never feel it when shooting at a big gobbler.

·
Registered
257 Posts
3.5" turkey loads in a pump gun are gonna be VERY noticeable, big gobbler or not.

I may have to give up my man card, but I'm sticking with 3" shells in my 870 Super Mag....................:smack:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Man i have one it is a turkey special with a shorter barrell synthetic stock and i'm not even gonna go shoot it this year before season...But like Arkie said you won't feel a thing shooting at a gobbler....and i also have found federal premiums to shoot best out of my gun with a jelly head choke!! Good Luck this season :thumb:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The recoil from 3.5 mags in a pump shotgun (mossberg) were what made Reggie want to go buy an automatic!

However, they'll hurt that goobler more than they'll hurt you.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Let me put it to you like this, My rifle is a .300 Remington Ultra Mag and I WILL NOT shoot a 3.5" 870 with turkey load EVER again, its just Rediculous
I can't argue that point. Before i put a muzzlebrake on my .300 U.M. It kicked pretty bad but i would not have passed on shooting a deer with it. I would not change my 3" shell for a 3-1/2" one year on a big gobbler that was just outside my range with a 3". Man them 3-1/2" turkey loads outright hurt. If i am using my 12ga. i am shooting 3" otherwise it's the .10ga.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You will notice it shooting at paper. You'll never feel it when shooting at a big gobbler.
That is Ture for the for the most part , I have picked myself off the ground and run up to the Gobbler and after a ltttle bit find out that that my face was bleeding also....:smack: " but i never felt a thing.." :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
I've shot 3.5" shells out of an 870 Supermag, a Benelli Nova and a SBE... and honestly I couldn't tell much difference at all in the recoil from any of them. They all kicked the snot out of me. The SBE seeme to have a little less muzzle jump than the others though.
Most of the time I'm about two steps behind the wadding when I pull the trigger on a turkey so that may be why I've never noticed the recoil while hunting with 3.5" loads.
Just make sure when you go to pattern your gun that you don't lean up against something with your shoulder when you shoot. Made that mistake before with a 3" turkey load and learned my lesson. Also make sure the butt of the shotgun is resting on the meat of your shoulder and not down on your arm or up on your collar bone.
If nothing else, you can always put on a good life jacket and wear it while shooting magnum loads. I've seen a friend's wife do this when practicing with her deer rifle. :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
3.5" hurt me last year, i shot a box to get my stuff setup and used to the recoil. i bought one of those sims vibration pad and its all good now. i second that arkie_3_fan on the collar bone advice, that is a painful place to get a hard bump.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My frield bought some kind of a short mossberg 12 gauge 3 1/2 and was smart enough to ask me to pattern a couple of turkey loads and I was dumb enough to agree to it. I shot it twice and had a migraine for the rest of the afternoon!

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
if theres a big gobbler right in front you gobbling his head off and putting on a show that you have called in..............recoil will be the last thing on your mind

·
3,605 Posts
If you have the 870 with the shock absorber stock, you will not feel it.

I have the 870 sps-t thumbhole stock and it will hurt your thumb if you hold on too tight.

·
Banned
20,810 Posts
I HAD a 835 thunbhole and I shot a few 3.5" shells out of it. I had to go get my dental work re-done and they didn't pattern worth a dern. I'd stick with 3" shells if it were me, they're atleast tollerable!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I agree with the "you won't feel it shootin at a gobbler", hardly anyone does.

I have a Benelli Nova pump, but put the recoil reducer in the stock....3 1/2's ain't a problem. I also have a BPS 10 ga. & it's so heavy the recoil ain't bad on it either.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Get a Lead Sled for shooting paper. They work just as good as they say on tv. Cabelas also has a similar product that is quiet a bit cheaper. Get a couple of your buddys to go in with you and none of you will ever have to worry about it again. Me and about 3 or 4 friends get together every year and pattern our guns and then cookout. I can honestly say that I feel no recoil out of my supermag with 3.5" shells when using the lead sled. I also never feel it when I shoot a bird either. I have a red dot which helps reduce the pain because I don't have to have my check to tight agains the stock. There are alot of gimmick hunting products out there so I don't mind promoting one that actually works as its intended. Two thumbs up for the Lead Sled.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts