Reason for plug in a shotgun

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by 10pointman, Jan 1, 2011.

1. 10pointman

10pointman Waterfowl forum Sheriff<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Co Staff Member

This rule does'nt make sense to me.A limit of ducks is a limit.It should'nt matter if you had ten shells in the gun,You kill 6 and stop shooting.It is harder to kill 6 with just 3 shells in the gun but not a problem none the less,after reloading.
    I guess its a way to save a few ducks without cutting back on the limit.

2. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Sky busting.:razz:

3. John Stiles

On quail it's called ground slooshing!:fit::razz:

4. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

It no doubt saves ducks. I can think of lots of times that if I would've had a fourth shot, I would've killed another duck. I've even snapped at 'em....Don't matter how hard you pull the trigger if there's not a shell in the gun. :fit:

5. kfarm

kfarm Well-Known Member

Best reason I can think of is to stay out of jail.

6. d2

d2 Well-Known Member

I'm with ten point man, I think it's a hold over from when the laws to protect waterfowl from market hunters were inacted. I dont see a need for the 3 shell limit anymore...d2

7. SalineRiver

SalineRiver Well-Known Member

goes back to market hunting. Antiquated law.

8. 10pointman

10pointman Waterfowl forum Sheriff<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Co Staff Member

What is market hunting?

9. belliott

belliott Well-Known Member

I find it kinda ironic that the same AGFC that does not trust duck hunters to use unplugged guns eliminated animal check stations:doh:

10. green_head_getter

green_head_getter Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner

I would love a fourth on many occasions however I know plenty of guys that shoot at a duck three times even though he was out of range after 2. Many people will keep firing at ducks out of range resulting i'n more cripples. The way I see it, if u can't hit with 3 u didn't need to kill that duck. That been me plenty of times tho

11. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

Commercial hunting. Selling them.

12. duck

duck Well-Known Member

x2

13. SalineRiver

SalineRiver Well-Known Member

:clap:

Unfortunately its a federal thang. :banghead: Kind of like lead shot. :banghead:

Anybody else notice that pre-DU there were MILLIONS AND BILLIONS of ducks? Now you can kill two mallards a scaup and three coots...:banghead:

14. crackshot82

crackshot82 Moderator<br>2006 Photo Contest Winner<br>2007 Pho Staff Member

Fouke
    If their really worried about cripples we would be able to use lead shot:thumb:

15. John Stiles

In case you fellers didn't realize it, ducks are covered by the "Migratory" bird act. That means they fall under federal law!:biggrin:

16. John Stiles

Oops...sorry I scanned right past ya!:up:

17. MollyWhop

MollyWhop Well-Known Member

When a big group gets started working I reach and grab an extra shell. When the feet drop I stick it in my mouth where I can grab a hold of it pretty quick and shoot that duck that always flies across the hole when everyone has gapped out.:cool: I've gotten off 4 shots numerous times in the timber.

Also it has been rumored that there are guns that will hold 4 shells with a plug in the gun... But hey thats probably just a rumor. I'm agreeing with 10 point that it shouldn't matter how many shells your gun holds (as long as you take good shots).

18. Hill Farm Hunter

Hill Farm Hunter Well-Known Member

I've heard that rumor, heck, I'm pretty sure I saw that rumor back in the day. I never could afford one of the guns rumored to do that though.:biggrin:

19. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

How odd. A duck hunter with something to complain about...............:whistle:

20. cacheman

cacheman Well-Known Member

They don't measure with shells, they measure with a little rubber stick. If they can slide it in your magazine past their mark, your illegal. I watched a friend get a ticket for an improperly plugged gun that would clearly only hold two shells in the magazine, but they were able to slide their thing up his past the mark. Just make sure the Wardens can't slide their things too far up yours and you will be legal.