Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to restain the stock and forearm? I have an ole 30-30 that has some scratches and stuff to the stock and forearm and the stain or finish is coming off a little around where the butt plate. The gun has not been used the last few years since I got my 30-06, but my wife wants to hunt a little this year so I'm going to buy her some managed recoil loads and let her shoot the 30-30. How hard of a job is it to do to refinish it? I've don't it on furniture before, but never on a gun. Thanks :up:

· Premium Member
17,138 Posts
How hard is it to restain the stock and forearm? I have an ole 30-30 that has some scratches and stuff to the stock and forearm and the stain or finish is coming off a little around where the butt plate. The gun has not been used the last few years since I got my 30-06, but my wife wants to hunt a little this year so I'm going to buy her some managed recoil loads and let her shoot the 30-30. How hard of a job is it to do to refinish it? I've don't it on furniture before, but never on a gun. Thanks :up:
Steel wool and Tru-oil Works realy well for me,easy too.

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steel wool and Tru-oil Works realy well for me,easy too.
Might have to try that. To apply the new finish, do you use a rag, a foam brush, a regular brush or what? Seems like I use to get the best results using something like an old t-shirt to avoid streaks.

And can you get that tru-oil at Wal-mart or do you have to go to a hardware store?

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best gun finish that I have found...........:biggrin:....and use your finger to rub it in with several coats.......or a soft cloth wrapped around your finger........:up:

some Wal-marts have it..........:skeptical:
So is the tru-oil the finish? Do you just use the steel wool to remove the old finish or do you use some kind of stain stripper AND the steel wool?:confused:

· Registered
1,935 Posts
So is the tru-oil the finish? Do you just use the steel wool to remove the old finish or do you use some kind of stain stripper AND the steel wool?:confused:
Steel wool to get even and remove the build up and to lightly scuff...
If you want re stain you will need to sand all the finish off back to bare wood..If it is very old...... it will have a walnut stock and pretty wood grain if not it is any one's guess what type of wood.........

· Premium Member
17,138 Posts
Yes,The tru=oil is the finish.The steel wool should take off the old finish just fine.You might have to use some fine grit sandpaper.I hung my stock up in the shop while applying the tru-oil.Put on a coat with your fingers and let dry,put 2 or3 coats sanding betwene each coat with steel wool.You will be amazed at how good it looks when you're through.

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes,The tru=oil is the finish.The steel wool should take off the old finish just fine.You might have to use some fine grit sandpaper.I hung my stock up in the shop while applying the tru-oil.Put on a coat with your fingers and let dry,put 2 or3 coats sanding betwene each coat with steel wool.You will be amazed at how good it looks when you're through.
I'll have to try it then! :up: I was reading something earlier about if you have any dents or gouges in the wood, you can (after you remove the old finish) take a damp hand towel, then take an iron (clothes iron) and put the towel on the stock and iron over it. They said you can just about take any and all dents out of the wood by doing this. Any of ya'll tried that?

I'll try to post some before and after pictures of the gun when I do it. :up:

Oh, one more quick question....do you take the forearm and stock off the gun or just use masking tape and do it without removing the parts? Thanks! :thumb:

· Administrator
90,822 Posts
I'll have to try it then! :up: I was reading something earlier about if you have any dents or gouges in the wood, you can (after you remove the old finish) take a damp hand towel, then take an iron (clothes iron) and put the towel on the stock and iron over it. They said you can just about take any and all dents out of the wood by doing this. Any of ya'll tried that?

I'll try to post some before and after pictures of the gun when I do it. :up:

Oh, one more quick question....do you take the forearm and stock off the gun or just use masking tape and do it without removing the parts? Thanks! :thumb:
I have done the wet towel and hot iron trick.

When I have refinished a stock with Tru-oil, I remove the stock from the firearm. Also remove any hardware if at all possible.

· Registered
11,495 Posts
My wife and daughter got me a muzzleloader kit for Christmas one year and I had to put it all together from scratch. One of the things that I had to do was finish the stock. I bought a Birchwood Casey kit at Gander Mtn. to do the stock. It came with simple instructions that were easy to follow. I was so proud on how that stock turned out. It is by far the prettiest stock on any of my guns and I also have the satisfaction of knowing that I was responsible for how beautiful that gun and stock turned out.

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I got started on it last night. The hardest part is removing the dang forearm! How in the heck do you get that off? My 30-30 looks almost identical to this one and the forearm is attached this exact same way. Any ideas on how to get it off? I took the forearm plate (yellow arrow) off the end of it and I also took the screw out of the bottom of the action (wasn’t sure if that was holding part of the forearm or not) but I still can't get the forearm to come off. :smack: Any suggestions?

On another note, I did manage to get the butt stock off and I got all the old finish off last night and I let it dry over night so tonight, I'm going to do the iron trick on a couple dents then apply the new finish. I took a few before pictures last night and I'll post them when I'm done. :up:

· Administrator
90,822 Posts
On some rifles, the tube comes out with the forearm. Since I don't have mine readily available right now, you might check to see if there is a screw at the end of the magazine tube. Remove it and the magazine will angle out from the barrel a little. Remove the endcap and spring (hold your finger ove the endcap when you remove the screw to keep it from launching) and the forearm and magazine tube should come off.

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On some rifles, the tube comes out with the forearm. Since I don't have mine readily available right now, you might check to see if there is a screw at the end of the magazine tube. Remove it and the magazine will angle out from the barrel a little. Remove the endcap and spring (hold your finger ove the endcap when you remove the screw to keep it from launching) and the forearm and magazine tube should come off.
There is a screw on the end. I remember seeing it last night. I bet that is it. I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks Mr. C! :up:

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Mr. C, do I have to remove that band out towards the end of the barrel to do this?

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No worries Mr. C! That was it! I took the band off and the end cap of the magazine tube and it pulled right out and the forearm popped right off. The forearm and the stock are both drying with their first coat of stain. :up: Looks WAY better already! I can't wait till it's done!:thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.