Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to return my RCBS Electronic Powder Dispenser for warranty work. It has been 45 days since I called them and got instructions on returning the dispenser and shipped it to them.
I finally got a postcard from them telling me it would be another four weeks before they would ship a replacement to me. That's pretty slow service in my opinion.
Anyone else had to return anything to RCBS and how long did it take? :thumb:

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
I've not returned anything to them, but.....
obligatory anecdotal tale....

I bought a 'box-o-stuff'.... reloading equipment, for $15 at a gun show.

I got home and started trying to assemble the powder measure, and figured out it was missing .... somethings... It was green, I found a phone number and called RCBS one Sat. morning. One transfer and a nice lady talked me though:
1) verifying that it was an RCBS product and just which one it was (I was really really new to this!),
2) through a parts list, each nut, washer and ditty.

She told me what I was missing, then proceeded to get my address, etc.
I asked about charges, and was told to not worry, they'd note any in the packaging. About a week later, I got a big envelope with everything I needed, and a 'large' charging cylinder, etc., an owners' manual and note, "NO CHARGE. Straight shooting Mr. Johnson!"

That was about 18 years ago now.... matters may have changed... I'd hope not. You should be calling someone and raising cain about that.

Sincerely,
Tommy

·
Administrator
89,107 Posts
RCBS has recently changed its lifetime warranty. According to their web site, they now require a receipt from the purchase before they will honor the warranty.

I can see both sides of it, one that if you buy a box of their green stuff used at a gun show, they feel that they shouldn't have to fix it for free. The other side of the coin is that I own several RCBS products that I have had since I started reloading about 30 years ago. There is no way for me to ever come up with the receipts, although I am the actual original purchaser.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can understand the need for a receipt, but the lady I spoke to told me I would not need one. However, after I spoke with her on the phone I found my receipt, made a copy and sent it right along with the rest of the stuff. Also they only answer the phone from Monday - Thursday and between the hours of 6:30 AM - 3:00 PM their time zone.
I sure hope they have not lost sight of good customer service. It is rather easy to flip the page in any catalog and go with a different brand. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
RCBS has recently changed its lifetime warranty. According to their web site, they now require a receipt from the purchase before they will honor the warranty.

I can see both sides of it, one that if you buy a box of their green stuff used at a gun show, they feel that they shouldn't have to fix it for free. The other side of the coin is that I own several RCBS products that I have had since I started reloading about 30 years ago. There is no way for me to ever come up with the receipts, although I am the actual original purchaser.
I agree. I was planning to pay for my parts and her time. Since then I've bought several RCBS products, including a "2000" semi-progressive loader (since traded for a Dil. 650.).

I've ehard that, in the times before I got into reloading, that many companies were ornery and cantankerous about repair and warranty work but that Dillon raised the bar and everyone followed.

Then, isn't RCBS under the ownership of a big conglomerate, nowadays?
Yeap... looked a bit... RCBS is "a part of" (i.e. owned by) the "ATK Ammunition Systems Group", who is a 570 person part of the 17,000 person "ATK".....
http://www.atk.com/corporateoverview/corpover_about_us.asp

Tommy

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I've had to send a couple of dies in for polishing/replacement (I noob'd them up) :wink: They replaced them no questions asked, but the 2nd time the CSR did ask some questions so she could help me figure out what I was doing wrong. And I haven't screwed one up since :thumb: I've also lost or broken a few other parts here and there, and they've always repaired or replaced them at no charge. The last part was my bullet puller cap last year, and they didn't ask for a receipt. They even included a free magnum cartridge insert! :up:

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That RCBS Electronic Powder Dispenser, really has me spoiled. It is so fast and accurate that I would rather wait for the repair instead of using a manual powder dispenser. On my hunting loads I weigh each powder charge and I want consistence to the highest degree I can get. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but I have had excellent warranty service from these company's:
Leopold - Sent them a 15 year old scope when the eye lens came loose and they sent me back a brand new scope of the same model that had all the up to date bells and whistle
Columbia - Sent them a pair of rain pants and jacket that leaked after they were about 10 years old. They sent me back a new pair that had suggested Manufacture Price of around $300. I paid about $60 for the ones I sent them.
Callaway Golf Clubs - I called them about a Big Bertha driver that had a rattle in the head. They sent me a new one with a post paid label to return the old driver.
I also have RCBS reloading stuff but even though all my stuff is over 30 years old it still works like the day I bought it. Like Mr. C I don't have any receipts.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I still do not have my RCBS Charge Master Powder Dispenser back. So I called them again and the young lady told me they had a product design fault that their engineers were working on and had to resolve before the unit could be repaired and returned.
I ask her how long will that take and she did not know. If you are thinking about getting one you might want to rethink that for a while. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I still do not have my RCBS Charge Master Powder Dispenser back. So I called them again and the young lady told me they had a product design fault that their engineers were working on and had to resolve before the unit could be repaired and returned.
I ask her how long will that take and she did not know. If you are thinking about getting one you might want to rethink that for a while. :thumb:
This is the same story I got from Lyman regarding my broken tumbler. It took nearly 3 weeks, but they did ship me an all-new rig with improved parts. Only you will be able to judge if the "improved" product is worth the wait. Or if that was just a line to stall you a while longer....

These conglomerates that buy old, well respected companies so they can use the name for marketing need to remember what made those names great--taking care of the CUSTOMERS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.