Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a RCBS press under a bridge today. It was froze up but a little JB-80 and a brass hammer and is working freely. This is a heavy made press! How do i find out what the model # is? I will try to get photos posted.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe its heavier than that. Its a lighter color of green, but it may be faded. The grip on the handle looks like a green "bicycle" grip.The handle only has one position to screw in and the arms from the handle to the ram look shorter.

·
Administrator
87,941 Posts
I am by no means an expert on RCBS equipment, but I don't recall them making a heavier press than the Rockchucker. They make one with a larger opening called the Ammomaster, for loading 50BMG.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
What you have is an old Rock Chucker. The bicycle handle was standard on the original rock chucker. It was painted with a light green krinkle-coat paint. Those were the best presses rcbs ever made. Hang on to it. I ordered new ball-type handles for one of mine and the other still has the original grip type handle. I'll see if I can find a picture of one of my old ones.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks fellas. Dirt Dart, thats it exactly, down to the green krinkle finish. I appreciate EVERYBODYS input! Kinda strange to find one that way. I need to remove the ram and polish it, but otherwise it seems fine. It even has a shellholder with it. Do they have a # on them? Will my lee shellholders fit? It also has a threaded bushing in the hole where you put the dies. Also, it looks like part of the silver thing is missing. Is it still usable?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Those presses have a pressed-in 7/8" tapped adapter to accept standard dies. If it has another threaded bushing it could be an adapter to accept 3/4" dies.

The shell holder should have a number on it. If it's a RCBS shellholder it's probably a No.3

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Great find then!

I can only guess, but maybe the prev. owner was using a die with a smaller diameter or threads. :confused:

I once bought a bit "box of reloading parts" for $8 at a gun show. In it was an RCBS Uniflow powder measure and RCBS beam scale... all in pieces After I cleaned the parts off and laid them out, I called RCBS one SATURDAY afternoon. The nice lady talked me through assembling both, and discovered several bits were missing. She then got my mailing address. I asked about cost and she wouldn't hear of charging me ANYthing. I told her I didn't expect them to give me the parts, but she was adamant. :up:

Well, about Fri. the following week, I got a package with a lot of parts, each well labeled, plus an extra rotor and associated bits for the Uniflow measure for pistol charges. The invoice listed each part, and each part priced at $0.00, with the total, "NO CHARGE". :eek:

I hope your experience is as good as mine.

Tommy

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The fact that i found this makes it more valuable to me. I am a sucker for a story with everything. O yeah, when my boss seen it he said " you will never get that piece of junk working". Amazing what a little of JB-80 will do!

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
The fact that i found this makes it more valuable to me. I am a sucker for a story with everything. O yeah, when my boss seen it he said " you will never get that piece of junk working". Amazing what a little of JB-80 will do!
My dad once found an old work bench vice outside somewhere. When he brought it home it was a big lump of mud and rust. It took most of a Summer or banging, chipping, soaking w/ oil and worrying it (more banging). About 20 years later, that vice is still on my work bench.

Yeah, tales are good.

Tommy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.