Arkansas Hunting banner

Rare Leucistic Hen Mallard found in Michigan!

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  NZ Brad 
#1 ·
Lets hear everyone elses stories about rare ducks they have seen or harvested. Feel free to post pictures that you may have.

#22 · (Edited)
Nah.. actually I was admiring that duck. It would probably be considered a leucistic specimen, but I'm not sure what other species of bird they got flying around over their in New Zealand...
Over the many years I spent chasing ducks I have shot and seen many oddball birds...
A beautiful colored Wigeon x Pintail, dozens of Mallard x Blackduck, several Gadwall x Name It..... even several teal hybrids. Shot a leucistic Canada goose once. Probably two dozen banded ducks.
The very best band was shot by my friend out of my boat and retrieved by my dog.... we could see the "glint" on the leg as the dog was swimming back... I made him hold it and deliver it to my buddy's hand.
He started laughing hysterically when he read the band.
It said, "You shot me you bastard"! LOL!
Somebody had put it on either a tame mallard and released it, or they somehow managed to catch a wild bird and slip it on.
He carries that on his key ring to this day.
Had to go find a picture....
Shoot several " Quill Lake Canada geese".... Interesting birds.
They are a result of the alkali lakes in Saskatchewan... Most notably in the Quill Lakes region.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.