range of shot question

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by arcountryboy, Dec 21, 2010.

1. arcountryboy

arcountryboy Well-Known Member

How far will a Browning BPS 12 gauge field model, 30" barrel with a invector modified choke reach shooting Remington 3" high speed steel shot? Just say you are shooting duck or geese, how far out before it's no longer a kill shot?

2. ACB, I don't know the answer to your question, but I've been through England 3 or 4 times in the past week. When are we gonna meet up at Subway or Sonic?

3. arcountryboy

Let me know next time your planning on coming back through. I will be off from the 23rd till the 4th. Friday and Saturday I will not be here but other than that I am always here.

4. d2

d2 Well-Known Member

Depending on shot size I would say 35-40 yards max, for a dead killing shot and that would still be iffy...d2

5. WackinNstackin

WackinNstackin Well-Known Member

Patterning it will be the only good way of knowing. I kill birds dead with 3" #4s at 40 yards all the time, BUT my gun has a very tight pattern so I get a high pellet count on target. I'd rather get alot of small shot in one as only a couple of large ones. I'd start with 2s and 3s to see what it does at 40 yds, if it does good with 2s, start increasing shot size until you get poor results.

6. jwill07w

jwill07w Well-Known Member

Not sure about range on that setup, I shoot browning gold with waterfowl full choke and can easily kill birds @ 40-45 yrds if not further. Do this using 3" #4s black clouds. A good huntin buddy of mine is from England you may know him or his family the Jordans? Ryan Jordan?

7. arcountryboy

Name rings a bell, does he have an older sister, bout 30 years old?

8. jwill07w

Yeah I believe she's bout that age maybe little older cause I'm 30. I've met her a couple of times but can't remember her name to save my life. His dads name is Jeff.

9. arcountryboy

I know him, not personally though. If I'm right his sister is Ashely, went to school with her from kindergarten to Graduation. She's 30, same as me.

10. jwill07w

Yep, Ashley. Didn't realize we were same age, Ryan is little younger 26.