Rainey Brake

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Red Oak, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Red Oak

Red Oak Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how the hunting is on the Brake! Is it still locked up?

2. bigmac7825

bigmac7825 Well-Known Member

I was going to go in the morning but i'll wait til after the first of the year and head up there.

3. Red Oak

I have some friends going this morning and will give a report of how it went. I just hope it isn't a bunch of skybusting and junk.

4. joshua c

joshua c Well-Known Member

Good luck on that

5. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

Went Saturday morning and everything in the timber was iced over. Didn't see hardly any ducks either.

6. snydedawg

snydedawg Well-Known Member

Went yesterday for the first time ever. Saw NO ducks til 08:00. The we worked a few in, only killed six. Teal and gadwall, but better than I thought.

7. Red Oak

Update on this morning, my buddies said they had a good hunt, everything was thawed, they killed their limit.

8. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

No kidding. It looked like a good place to hunt if it wasn't all froze over like it was when we went. That was only my second time to hunt that area. First time we hunted over my Hill Slough. We did see 15 deer on the road that day to and from Rainey.

9. bigmac7825

bigmac7825 Well-Known Member

Im heading up in the morning. Ill report when I get back tomorrow afternoon.

10. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

It better be good! Dragging my butt out of the house at 2! New place for me so im excited. Thank goodness you got the holes marked.

11. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

We have been hunting there just about everyweekend. Saturday was slow and didny hear hardly any shooting. We were about a 100 yards from rainey brake, had a better hunt on the river Sunday here in batesville.

12. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

Did y'all walk in Saturday?
    The game warden up there was a friendly guy. He just talked to us for a few minutes and then went on his way.

13. zpenter

zpenter Well-Known Member

it is all sky busting any time i go that is what most of the hunters are doing:censored: and when you get back to the trucks look at the people who are loading up out of state boys man i wish they would learn to call ,not get mad when the birds dont come to them.. the one shot flair is always going to go on when a big group of the day is comming in :banghead:

14. factory909

Keeb: yea we walked in at skybust corner, everything was nice and frozen until we got to the boat lane, then it was clear...we had one wood duck almost land in, but then decided not too...and had 3 mallards that acted like they wanted to come in, and that was that...I got one-shot shot off, but like someone said above its usually sky busters galore!

15. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

We got one mallard come in right at shooting hours. She didn't leave the hole. We decided to load up between 8 and 830 and had 3 try to work our hole when we were picking up decoys.

16. factory909

Where did you guys put in at

17. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

Don't know what it's called. My first time up on there. We put in at the first landing across from the big slough after the long strait away if that makes any sense. It looked like a campground that we were parked in. We saw several guys walking in at 4:30 when we were putting boats in just down from us. Saw some guys from Memphis putting in a wooden pirogue (sp) at about 9am when we were fixing to leave.

18. factory909

You guys didn't have two people laying down on the front of the boat did you?

19. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

More than likely.

20. factory909

You may have come across us, we were behind a big log off to your right if you were to put your boat in at the floodgate launch (right across horseshoe lake)