Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's finally raining here on my hill. Unfortunately, I think it is too late to save the post oak acorn crop. The last couple weeks of hot, dry weather has caused the leaves on most of the post oaks on my hill to turn yellow and are falling off. I seriously doubt the acorns will make. This really gets discouraging. In the 8 years I've lived here I've only had one acorn crop. :frown:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
By contrast, 100 miles north of you is having the wettest summer anybody can remember. I wish I could send you some! :frown:

Yup - same thing here in North Central Arkansas. Even though we haven't had any rain for the last 25 days or so (raining right now), our rainfall for this Spring and Summer has been way over the top. Both Bull Shoals and Norfork are still 30+ and 20+ feet above normal respetively and if anything, the flooded trees are dying from drowning. I think there will be a bumper crop of acorns up this way which makes for some really tough hunting, although I am sure the deer will appreciate it.

Cheers.....

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
It is wild how different the rain fall has been across the state. I was talking to my buddy in Jonesboro about a month ago, and he was complaining about drought. I couldn't believe it, but we're about flooded here and usually they get the same fronts we do.
We ought to have plenty of white oaks here, but I guess the red oaks wont make from last year. Fine with me from a hunting perspective because I think I've got a good late season spot pegged for once those acorns dry up. I found it last year after I limited out.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
On my last two trips to the woods (Cherokee WMA), I am yet to see a single acorn. We have had plenty of rain but with the freeze we had last year I think it is still having an effect on the acorn production.

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,644 Posts
I'm not sure what the solution is - from what I have seen, your neck of the woods has had more moisture than average this year.

Over towards Clinton where my father lives, they have gotten enough rain off-and-on this summer that it is far greener than typical for this time of year.

Over here in Carlisle, it has been dry for quite some time, but things here are greener than usual as well.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,488 Posts
Well, it's finally raining here on my hill. Unfortunately, I think it is too late to save the post oak acorn crop. The last couple weeks of hot, dry weather has caused the leaves on most of the post oaks on my hill to turn yellow and are falling off. I seriously doubt the acorns will make. This really gets discouraging. In the 8 years I've lived here I've only had one acorn crop. :frown:
Never look a gift horse in the mouth:whistle:

·
Registered
647 Posts
i looked sunday at my 120 acres <fulton> i looked at over 100 white oak trees, only about 1 in 20 had any acorns. some of the smaller trees that usually makes good acorns had tiny stunted acorns. only a handfull of biggest mature white oaks made and only those that were near openings. mine in deep woods didn't make. so i would rate the acorn crop here-poor- fair:head:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,488 Posts
i looked sunday at my 120 acres <fulton> i looked at over 100 white oak trees, only about 1 in 20 had any acorns. some of the smaller trees that usually makes good acorns had tiny stunted acorns. only a handfull of biggest mature white oaks made and only those that were near openings. mine in deep woods didn't make. so i would rate the acorn crop here-poor- fair:head:
They'll be there.....no sweat:up:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.