raft creek water situation?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by jas870, Jan 1, 2011.

1. jas870

jas870 Super Member<br>2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner

i'm probably going to get grilled for this, but a buddy of mine was drawn for a permit hunt at raft creek this coming tuesday. he was drawn for hole 18. neither one of us have been there. does the place have water? im only asking to potentially save some time and money driving over there just to have to turn around due to the fact of the hole not having water. just had to ask:shrug:

thanks in advance for any serious advice. :up:

2. For your sake I hope there is water. I also hope someone tells you whether or not there is water. And that you don't get too much crap for Internet scouting. :up:

3. jas870

it's kinda a last resort. 99.9% of the time i would never internet scout. just figured since he was drawn for that hole we wouldn't be "stealing" anyone's honey hole. i'm prepared for the crap slinging, i have my rain suit on!

rye, i see you've been having some good hunts.

4. Been doing decent. If there is water in Raft Creek y'all should do okay because there are a few birds down here.

5. hhunter

hhunter Well-Known Member

I was there yesterday, plenty of water and so many ducks you could have skipped across the hole on their backs. All green heads, no hens or woodies. 50% were banded and of those 25% were double banded. It would definitely be worth the drive and the gas money.

BTW: It's cold up here.

6. jas870

I only go if I'm gauranteed to a limit and each one has to at least be double banded!

Snuggle up with huck, he will keep you warm!

7. mevans_91

mevans_91 Well-Known Member

Ward
    Should be some water or they wouldn't have the hole up for grab. We hunted down there a few weeks ago and the holes that didn't have any water were took off the board. Just make sure you are there a few min before the 2 hour early requirement. We hunted 16 and the water was a little over ankle deep but we did have to look a little for it in the area

8. jas870

Thank you good sir! :thumb:

9. mevans_91

mevans_91 Well-Known Member

Ward
    Not a problem bc I sure know I would want someone to do the same for me and have plenty of times

10. CWF

CWF Well-Known Member

Searcy
    I haven't hunted there since mid December, but when I did, it was an internet draw for hole 18. Hole 18 has water on it, but it's on the backside (west, I believe). There's two ponds on hole 18. I hunted the one to the west. I'm not sure if the southern pond is legal to hunt or not (it has a directional sign to hole19 on the levee) The pond is pretty deep, but at the time, there was little to no water in the fields. The water should be up in the field, at least partly, by now, and there's plenty of cover in the sloughs. Good luck!

11. CWF

CWF Well-Known Member

Searcy
    I'm always a little nervous to hunt there because I'm not sure how far away from the signs you can hunt. I take a map with me and make sure to stay within the ring that is shown. Good Luck

12. modux

modux Active Member

water

Pretty decent draw dude...there was water in there for sure the other day and a decent amount of ducks...call and decoy shy but ironically settled in to our hole after we put out a butt load more decoys...the standard couple dozen hasnt cut the mustard for us lately, but who knows with these birds they change their mind more than my girl...and that is sayin somethin!!!! :banghead:

13. duckboy32

duckboy32 Well-Known Member

Cabot
    i went there for the first time on wednesday, not knowing anything, we just picked hole 6. we had to hunt for the water and it was just a ditch about 15ft wide, not many ducks either. I also was concerned with how far you could go. Good luck! there will be some water

14. jas870

I really appreciate the information guys! :thumb: