Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
41,133 Posts
Heck, I run PP too and might have seen you at a trial before.

Most of the ones Ive been to have been at Woodson but Ive also been to Booneville, Neelyville, and Dixie.

Im gonna probably go to Dixie again next weekend.

We're starting to get a few more beaglers on the site.

We need to get a hunt together before long and everybody bring one or two dogs and put em down and see what happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ha ha yea u prob have seen me i was at woodson for the regional......i just got a pup in out of ifc blackies t rex.. i have big plans for him! let me know and maybe we can get together and run one day

·
Administrator
41,133 Posts
I was at the regional so I probably saw you.

I had a b & t female place 3rd so I was pretty proud of that.

I usually run dogs or hunt 2 or 3 times a week so just let me know when you want to go.

Did you get the pup from Canada?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've got a few beagles in NEArkansas. I love to listen to a good race!

I haven't ever done any kind of trials, although one of the guys I hunt with on occasion does the whole field trial thing. My free time has been limited so I've mostly focused on building a good pack of hunting dogs for my pleasure. My male is out of the K-Buck line and is turning out to be a great rabbit dog.

Incidentally I've got a female that should deliver a litter this weekend... By my calculations she was due today.

·
Administrator
41,133 Posts
I remember you now!

It really is a small world I guess.

Trials are fun and I enjoy participating but I learned pretty quick that a good dog might not win because judges can only go by what they actually see and there's no way they can see the whole race.

Most of my dogs have Inline Black Jack/Little Nip Otis.

I'm familiar with K Buck. He's in a couple of my dogs pedigrees. He usually puts pretty good hunt in em.

You're male wouldn't be out of Hossbreeze would he?

Good luck with the pups.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ha ha yea no kidding! he is out of taylors rook which goes back to buddys iron eagle. he is a good dog got lots of foot. there is some judges that i just dont win under. but i guess thats part of it. i have been doing it for years and u cant and wont win everytime. i got a few champion dogs now but have the best young dog that i have ever had he is a hoss! he to is a black and tan of of mike carters dogs

·
Registered
368 Posts
I remember you now!

It really is a small world I guess.

Trials are fun and I enjoy participating but I learned pretty quick that a good dog might not win because judges can only go by what they actually see and there's no way they can see the whole race.

Most of my dogs have Inline Black Jack/Little Nip Otis.

I'm familiar with K Buck. He's in a couple of my dogs pedigrees. He usually puts pretty good hunt in em.

You're male wouldn't be out of Hossbreeze would he?

Good luck with the pups.
Yep, he's out of Hossbreeze.

I'll feel better about the pups after they are born and I get them thru the first week. This weather has me worried...

·
Administrator
41,133 Posts
Is your Hossbreeze male little?

I might want to talk to you about breeding one of my females to him someday.

I just bought a male that was bred by Mike Carter. Is this the same guy that youre talking about? I dont know him or where he's from but alot of people talk pretty high about his dogs. I sure didnt need another dog and especially a male ( I keep mostly females) but I kept him for two weeks on a trial and he had as much or more "hunt" than just about any male Ive ever seen so I couldnt pass him up. He's only 11 months old and has a long way to go but I sure like what I see so far.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My Hossbreeze male turned out to be the biggest of his litter. He's about the upper limit if what I want in a rabbit dog -- but he's got the hunt!

Perhaps we can get together sometime and hunt.

I kept a female out of my first litter that is much smaller than her dad. She is almost 8 months old now. I was planning on getting her started to see how she does then possibly trading her off for another female that I could mix with my male.

My Hossbreeze male came from Tim Wilkins. He was the final owner of Hossbreeze, which died this winter.

I'm still waiting on my current liter to be whelped. She was due yesterday but I think she may still be a week or so out. I can't tell that her milk has dropped yet...

·
Administrator
41,133 Posts
I had a feeling that he came from Tim. Ive bought several dogs from him myself.

One of them is a little female that probably wouldnt go over 12" (if that) but she will flat look for a rabbit and if she barks its up and running. Hossbreeze was her grandsire so I imagine alot of it came from him.

As far as the hunting goes, let me know when and where. :thumb:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Tim and I hunt together some. I recently moved and now live about 1/4 mile from the St. Francis River Levee (Sunken Lands) @ Lake City. I plan to spend a lot of Saturdays running up and down that levee in the coming months.

Incidentally my female came from Tim's brother and is a beautiful little Black and Tan / Blue Tic mix.

·
Administrator
41,133 Posts
I talked to Tim last night. His truck broke down on him and he was waitin' on a wrecker.

He's some pretty good deals on some young dogs right now but Ive got more than I need already.

·
Administrator
41,133 Posts
I was mistaken about the hunt in Dixie being next weekend.

It was today!

I happened to see it on the ARHA site though and cancelled a rabbit huntin' trip and went to the trial instead.

Im glad I did because I had one dog come in 5th and the other 3rd. I was really pleased with the 3rd because I just bought that little male last week and this was his first field trial. Plus, he's only 11 months old and that made it even better to place that young. He was second in his cast and the dog that beat him has already made Champion and is in a race for Hound of the Year and that dog eventually won the trial.

·
Administrator
41,133 Posts
All you really have to do for an ARHA (American Rabbit Hound Association) trial is show up with your dog(s) and enter em. If they arent ARHA registered youll have to do that but you can do it at the trial.

Their website is at www.arha.com. You can see the different classes for the different running styles dogs have and also the rules for each one. They also have the schedule for all the upcoming trials.

Since you run with Tim and knowing some of the bloodlines you have Id say your dogs would run Progressive Pack. Thats the class I run in.

Theyll have another hunt in Dixie next month. Let me know if you want to go and Ill meet you and show you where its at and what to do.

If you dont take it too seriously, its alot of fun. You get to meet alot of other beaglers and compare your dogs to what others are running. It also gives you a reason to run/train dogs other than just rabbit hunting.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.