Rabbit Spots around Cen. Ark

Discussion in 'Small Game and Bird Hunting' started by athunt, Dec 20, 2010.

1. athunt

athunt Well-Known Member

Anybody know of any good spots around Central Arkansas that have been good this year or in the past?

Thanks

2. thomasw_lrd

thomasw_lrd Well-Known Member

First question, do you have a dog?

I've seen a few at Bell Slough, which is right around the corner from you. Let me know if you want some company if you head that way. I never see too many, but I don't have any dogs.

There are several guys that run dogs at Holland Bottoms also. I've never talked to them to see if they do any good. It looks like they just let the dogs run, while they sit in lawn chairs.

If you want to try sometime after the new year, and want some company, pm me. I'd love to go, with or without dogs.

3. rabbit_dog

rabbit_dog Well-Known Member

Hey if you have dogs that won't run deer check and see about camp robinson we do our man hunt trials with bloodhounds down there in march. Around the drop zone is full of rabbits

4. Swamper-AR

Swamper-AR Well-Known Member

Most of the WMAs will have a few rabbits. If you can get permission the bottoms along the AR river will have a few.

5. Swamper-AR

Swamper-AR Well-Known Member

Oh yeah and deer proof or at least resistant will be a necessity. Unless you want to spend the day hunting your dogs.:mad:

6. athunt

athunt Well-Known Member

We only have 3 dogs, for now. Got 2 pups we are waiting to get started.

They arent my dogs or I would invite you guys to come with, but the owner is still skiddish about who hunts with his dogs since he has invested so much so far and they are still young.

They are pretty good about staying off of deer. We have deer scented cloth on their collars at all times so they are pretty use to the scent. Not to mention the shock collars :wink:.

We went to Bell Slough the other day, and they didnt catch the trail of any rabbits. We didnt even see any squirrels. Everything seemed to be dead. We hunted the gas line that runs right through the middle of the WMA.

How does one go about getting permission to hunt on Camp Robinson? I figured that was off limits?

Thanks for the info guys! Keep it coming!

7. Crossroads

Crossroads Well-Known Member

To get on camp you got to go the national gaurd base in NLR . Did you go on the dam side at bell slough i have had some good running in there

8. athunt

athunt Well-Known Member

No, we went to the south side off of Grassy Lake Road.

Did you hunt that power line right there when your first walk in?

9. Crossroads

Crossroads Well-Known Member

there is some rabbit on the power line I go to the left an hunt them thicket there is one honey suckle thicket that all kind of rabbit sign in it