Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted a rabbit dog. Haven't rabbit hunted in ten years. Could someone give me good advice on books or how to train them? Finding a dog won't be a big problem.
Thanks in advance!!

· Registered
260 Posts
If you're talking about a pup, i usually wait until they are 4-6 mos. old and get a tame rabbit in a cage. Let them sniff around and see the rabbit.....a lot of times beagles need to know exactly what it is they are supposed to be chasing. Then eventually take them with a started dog....just be careful, a dog with bad habits will teach those bad habits to your pup. Usually they have it bred into them to trail rabbits, but every beagle differs in the time they will start barking on the trail, or "open up". I've had them do it at 6 mos. old and my best dog didn't start until he was almost a year old, i almost gave him away once! Where are you located at in NEA? I live at Corning, and i know several fellas in the area that hunt and have rabbit hounds.....i have three good running dogs myself and two pups in training. These days i mainly just run my dogs and don't even kill many rabbits anymore, i just like to watch and hear them run. I even run year round and in summer run at night. Give me a yell, maybe for a hunt or if you're looking for a good hound i might know someone you could contact.

My advice would be if you haven't rabbit hunted in a while, or don't have a lot of time, i would get a started dog to begin with.....waiting for a pup to open up can be a long, frustrating process.

Check this site....you can find both running dogs and pups, and narrow down your search by state:
www.beaglesforsaleonline.com

· Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for advice, I would like to take u up on the offer. I get to hunt on weekends but mainly deer and duck. I love to watch the dogs wrk. And I even have land where people use to run dogs on and now they no longer do it. I dnt know many folks w dogs here. I live in Jonesboro.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.