Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alphamaxhunter, with his awesome story, got me remembering some of the flash hunts I've had. Let's share some.

Quickest one for me was the morning I called in two gobblers, three jakes, and a wad of hens. I killed one gobbler and paid real good attention to where the other one flew to.

Two hours later my uncle, dad, and I went after him. Got to where I knew he should be and I made a yelp, and was cut off by a gobble. We all grabbed a tree and parked it. Literally 10 seconds after we sat down, there he was at about 50 yds. 30 seconds later he's at 35 yds and uncle puts him down.

From yelp to shot was maybe 2 minutes max.

·
Registered
15,069 Posts
I've had a few that was dead within 10 minutes of first gobble, but there was one that was dead within 15 minutes of getting out of the truck.

I had worked these birds the day before, well I was actually kinda wandering around and got on these two birds and didn't realize that they would never cross a logging road, I mean these two jokers were obviously born and raised on this particular bit of ground and had never left it. So I figured out how to get in there easier, than just wandering around and the next day I was in there as the sun was coming up. I climbed up the mountain above this particular pine plantation these birds thought of as holy ground, and I heard a hen, I thought a live decoy is the best. I ran back down made a call, heard a gobble, found a few 3 inch pines to settle into, made a call, had him on a string, called him within 10 steps, shot him in the face, and was back in the truck before 7.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Not sure how long this one took but glad my son was ready. One hoot followed by a really close gobble. We immediately sit and I get out my wing. Fly a couple of hens down and a double gobble. Im pulling out my slate and BOOM! I freak and look up and see a turkey flopping. Son said dad I saw him flying 2 us and when he hit the ground and stood tall I busted him. We had a 15 minute walk out and a short drive and had to wait for the gas station to open at 700. Here is a pic we took in the woods, It was a double beard

Attachments

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Had the quickest hunt of my life today. We were riding some roads out calling. Buddy called- one answered about 200 yards over the top of a ridge. It was my turn to shoot. Ran up the road and got out of sight of truck. Slid next to the closest tree. Made a few yelps and he gobbled back less than 50 yards away. Got my gun up just as he crested the hill. Shot him maybe 20 seconds later. From beginning to end was maybe 3-4 minutes.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
It's been a few years since my quickest hunt. My brother and I camped up in the national forest one night. Sitting around the fire that night we were discussing where we would hunt. After talking about different places, I finally said "I'm just gonna start walking from camp and see what happens."

The next morning I took off from the tent just a few minutes before gobbling time. I had made it a few hundred yards up the forest road when a well timed owl hooted and this turkey gobbles just a 100 yds or so off the road.

I stepped off the road and found a seat. Gave a few soft yelps and he hobbled right back. I sat quiet and listened to him gobble several more times, then the next thing I know, he pitches down basically in my lap. He was on the ground for about 15-20 sec until I was standing on his head! I was back at camp, cooking breakfast by 6:40.

·
Registered
516 Posts
KS, 2014, windy (really windy) day, walked to a field edge, my buddy sees a longbeard, shows me, I shoot. Honestly couldn't have been 15 seconds total time from seeing him to shooting (probably more like 10 seconds). Not that much fun but they had beat us up a little that morning so I was glad to get him.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was in Kansas in 2014, and we had watched a gobbler pass us at about 80 yards following a hen and wondered off to the left. But we were really focused on another turkey that was strutting and gobbling around a hay ring. So when the hay ring bird walked off we were gonna go sit by that hay ring and wait. Well on the way there a hen stepped out in the road about 40 yards, so I dropped to my knees, and the gobbler walked out behind it, so I just raised my gun and shot. I guess that would be my fastest hunt, by the time I dropped to my knees to the time I shot was about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My quickest hunt was several years ago. I had to work opening morning so I took my hunting stuff to work with me. After work, I hauled tail to the woods. I walked about 100 yards from my truck and made 3 yelps. I heard what sounded like a turkey running up a hill at me. I didn't have on a facemask or anything so I just tucked in behind a cedar tree. Within seconds, a gobbler ran past the cedar tree and stopped at 5 steps looking around. He caught a load of hevi shot 6s to the back of the head. From the time I called until the time I shot was probably 30 seconds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.