Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member<br>'09 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<br
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great weekend at camp with my dad and managed to get some points for team 18. Didn't get to hunt Saturday morning cause my daughter's birthday was Friday and we had half a dozen 3rd grade girls spending the night for a sleep over and my wife wasn't about to let me miss out on helping out for that not that I would have anyway. Got up Saturday morning and headed south about 9:30 or so for the 4 1/2 hour drive south just north of Eldorado. Got a call from a buddy of mine that had shot a buck and wanted me to stop by and see it. Told him I really needed to be getting on the road, but he twisted my arm. Stopped and checked the buck out. Narrow, main framed 8, but had 4 sticker points that made it a 12pt. Got back on the road and rolled in to camp about 2:30pm. Got unloaded, and we headed out to our stands. Climbed up my ladder and tightened the strap and attached my thermacell. Climbed back down, got my ML, and climbed back up and attached my safety harness. Got turned around and sat down for a few seconds. Had a few skeeters buzz me and reached down to make sure the ol theracell was heating up. Felt good, and looked over to my left and there's an 8 pt walking down the trail right towards me and he's about 40 yards out. He get's to 25 and turns a little with his head going behind a tree. I'd already made up my mind that he was big enough for me. Got my gun up, and had to wait a minute or so for his vitals to clear the tree. Shot, he ran straight across in front of me, stops about 15 steps to my right, then goes down. Had to stop and think about what had just happened. I'd been in my stand for maybe 3 minutes and had an 8 pt on the ground. Nothing huge, but a decent buck for me. About 13" with decent mass and fairly tall. Well, it was only 3:45, so I climbed down, tagged him, reloaded and climbed back up. By the time I climbed down at dark I'd shot the 8 pt, seen 3 hen turkeys, passed up a 6 pt buck and a smaller 8 pt. What a way to start the hunt! My dad didn't see anythig from his stand Saturday morning or evening, so I talked him into hunting my stand Sunday morning and evening. He didn't see anything Sunday morning, but saw some deer that evening with no shot. I shot a doe Sunday evening from a different stand. So, this morning I got up and started packing things up while dad went out to his stand. I got the call at about 8:15 to come help him load her up on the 4 wheeler. He'd shot a real nice doe. We got her cleaned up, loaded up and headed back north and I had an 8 pt rack for the kids to check out when I got home. Will have to post the pictures later for the deer hunting contest. I'm still playing catch up at home, but just had to write about the great weekend at camp. The weather was great and the deer seemed to be moving. Can't wait to go back down closer to the rut!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Congratulations on a fine hunt. There is nothing quite as enjoyable as sweet success...except maybe to do it twice in one hunt. Looking forward to the pics. :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.