Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the deal, right now i have an older 870 that will only shoot 2 3/4 shells. So I've been shooting this winchester xpert high velocity. I'm thinking about switching over to a 3 1/2 inch gun but can't decide if I want to shoot a mossberg 835 ultimag or the remington 870 super mag. Then I can't decide if I want to shoot the remington HD, the federal black cloud, or just the winchester xpert. So the real question is have any of yall had any contact with these guns and ammo and how they all pattern when it comes down to it. If you could let me know how the gun/ammo has worked for ya'll that would be a great help. Thanks.

Matt

·
Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>
467 Posts
I would most definately go with the 870 out of the two guns that you listed. The Benelli NOVA has proven to be a solid pump gun for waterfowling also so you may want to consider it also. You will like both the Wingmaster HD and Federal Blackcloud ammo! Black Cloud is high but not as expensive as HD. The HD only comes in boxes of 10 for twice the price and Black Cloud is still sold in boxes of 25. Remember the Black Cloud does not do well in Pattern Master choke tubes because the actual shell has its own wad stopping technology! Good luck I hope this helps!:thumb:

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would go with the 870 that you mentioned you absolutely cant tear one up. It wont let you down for sure. As far as the shells you mentioned I personally shoot the Expert High Velocity shells. They are cheaper and seem to do just as much damage with them as the other shells.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Reggie has shot the mossberg 835 with 3" Winchester supreme #4s in the timber for many years. He uses the factory improved cylinder choke.

Reggie's father has shot ducks with a Remington 870 and uses the same ammo and the factory modified choke.

Reggie shot 3 1/2" through his mossberg for a few years, but he found that he could kill ducks with the 3" loads for cheaper.

Whatever gun you choose (and these are both good guns for the $$$) he would suggest steering clear of the Winchester Xperts.

·
Banned
82 Posts
there was an article in may issue of waterfolwer about investing in a quality choke (patternmaster, kick's, wad wizard) and using the cheap ammo will give you quality patterns. personally though i go mid range on ammo because there was also an article about the cheap ammo (Remington sportsman, winchester xpert) not being round but tear drop shaped which doesn't give perfect patterrns. i shoot kent's

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,584 Posts
I watched my two boys practice shooting with a 835 and them 3 1/2" "expert" shells....believe me, it left quite a pattern on both them boys....one did'n hunt, and the other used 2 3/4" low brass.:wink:

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I guess my question is this... Were you killing ducks with the 2 3/4 in loads??

I have a bro who will not change from his old 2 3/4in. 1100 to save the world! He kills ducks cleanly and does it consistently. So if you feel that there is room for improvement, I say go for the 870 Super-Mag. But I still say to shoot the 3" ammo in it unless you are shooting a lot of geese!

JMO.... and it ain't worth much!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I wouldn't even depend on the mossberg as a boat paddle and wading stick.

Lost Creek,
I have a benelli nova you speak so highly of and I wouldn't trade it for anything except probably a SBEII. I love that gun. I have a comp-n-choke modified would that be ok to shoot blackcloud out of or should I just use factory chokes and is it as good as people say it is. Its only 20 bucks a box. better than 40 bucks for some others.

Also I wouldn't shoot kents if my life depended on it. Too many misfires and duds. I do like the kent matrix.

Also, I find that turkey shells work really well on high flying ducks.:eek::whistle::whistle:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so everyone is leaning away from the mossberg, I've never really given much thought into the winchester supreme or the winchester super x. I'll have to start doing some reading on them. But its pretty much a given that as far as ducks go I only need to shoot 3 inch unless I'm around alot of geese to. Thanks to everyone that has put there input in for me. Its answered alot of my questions.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I know of a Marine Captain who was tapped to run his bases' security detail. He had rifles and pistols, but he wanted shotguns for his security patrols. He really wanted to get his troops some 870's, but all he could score were Mossberg 500's. He cussed and he fumed, but that's all they had to work with, so he worked with them. He told be by the time he got his grunts through the training cycle, he was a Mossberg fan.

--Just one Marine Skipper's opinion! I personally like the safety on the tang where everybody can reach it. But then, I own an 870...

·
467 Posts
I wouldn't even depend on the mossberg as a boat paddle and wading stick.

Lost Creek,
I have a benelli nova you speak so highly of and I wouldn't trade it for anything except probably a SBEII. I love that gun. I have a comp-n-choke modified would that be ok to shoot blackcloud out of or should I just use factory chokes and is it as good as people say it is. Its only 20 bucks a box. better than 40 bucks for some others.

Also I wouldn't shoot kents if my life depended on it. Too many misfires and duds. I do like the kent matrix.

Also, I find that turkey shells work really well on high flying ducks.:eek::whistle::whistle:

I bought the Nova the first year it came out (1999) and have never had one single problem with it. I use it more for a training gun now and have hunted with a SBEII for the last three seasons with the same results.

Personally I like the new factory chokes that comes with the SBEII. That is all I shoot. Black Cloud is just steel shot with a different wad in it to hold the shot together longer. I am not to familiar with the choke that you named but remember just as long as it is not a wad stopper choke it should be ok. From what I hear Pattern Master chokes do not do well with Black Cloud. Also this may be a rumor but I heard that Pattern Master is designing a choke just for Black Cloud. This last snow goose season was my first time to shoot this stuff and I liked it. It hits them hard but I have not shot it enough to really know if it is that much better than regular steel...

I am going to try my luck with Kents this year! I heard you just cant get them wet like you can a drylok!

You are right about the (non-lead) turkey shells on high flyers, remember a 3 1/2" 1 3/4 ounce # 4 Hevishot or Wingmaster HD is technically a turkey load and this stuff if legal to duck or goose hunt with! They will mow a cripple down a long ways out! I dont shoot this stuff all the time but I try to have a few in my pocket each day in case I need them.:thumb:

·
467 Posts
I watched my two boys practice shooting with a 835 and them 3 1/2" "expert" shells....believe me, it left quite a pattern on both them boys....one did'n hunt, and the other used 2 3/4" low brass.:wink:
John, the hardest I have ever been kicked in my life was with a 835 3 1/2" duck load. After one shot it was all I wanted!:eek: I thought it knocked a few of my teeth out and I had a headache for three days... I guess I just wasnt ready for it:smack:

·
Premium Member
21,011 Posts
Started with a Mossberg 500 and graduated to and 870. I own 2, one for just in case, both are chambered for 3" Shells. I also use #2 Expert's. I can truly say i have used and abused the heck out of it, never a moments trouble.

Ps - Have an 870 supermag also.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.