Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to know how you guys pull an aluminum bottom bass boat up to the shore of the lake. Does the waves knock it around and wear holes in the bottom ? Would you throw out an ancor (sp) tie it off ...just how do you do it or do you even do it ? Like some folks hunt around the lake using a boat. Thankee kindley ....:confused:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey yeah now that makes good sense. An old tire would do the trick. Don't think I could push this one off the bank If I beached it. Never owned a bass boat before and just bought one and suppose to drag it home Saturday. It's the Bass Tracker pro team 175 TXW. Didn't want a biggun with these gas prices. It's got a 60 horse 4 stroke mercury. Should do us just fine for fishing. They told me this motor got better fuel mileage than the 50 two stroke. That's what I was after. Actually it's a pretty nice little boat. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's really good to hear.....it was my main goal. I just can't afford lots of that high priced gas for a fishing trip. Maybe this way, we can get out in it more. If it wasn't for high gas prices i would have thought more of a bigger motor to pull the kids on tubes and stuff. But now-a -days we'll make due with a nice fishing trip once in awhile. Thanks for the input....:wink:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Chaley. That's what they been telling me. I'm sure they'll have a tube before long. I have four grandchildren. Two boys ages 7 and 8 and two girls ages 3 and 8. They don't weigh much of nothing. I figure it'll zip them right along.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I also have that boat antler3. Mine has the 2 stroke 50, but it does dang good on gas. It has a 21 gallon gas tank. I have had it out six times in the past month and a half and finally went through a tank of gas. My wife and I really like the way this boat handles. I weigh over 225 lbs and she's a hefty 110 pounds, heh. It does around 34 mph.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are really liking this boat too. Glad you guys are having a good time with yours. Usually so the saying goes the aluminum hulls ride alot rougher. But I'll have to say this one does real good. I think they have made changes to the hull design so it cuts through the water better. Ya'll be safe and have lots of fun ! Oh yeah the gas mileage is great isn't it ? One can afford to have a good time several times with these motors and yeah it goes plenty fast for us.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Need to know how you guys pull an aluminum bottom bass boat up to the shore of the lake. Does the waves knock it around and wear holes in the bottom ? Would you throw out an ancor (sp) tie it off ...just how do you do it or do you even do it ? Like some folks hunt around the lake using a boat. Thankee kindley ....:confused:
I have a 60hp Yamaha 4-stroke on the back of a 16.5 foot Smokercraft which is a deep-v aluminum rig. I pull it up on the shoreline all the time and all I would recommend is motor in very slowly and make sure your prop doesn't hit going in. Elevate the lower unit as much as you can while still keeping the prop in the water. I've been doing this for years and have yet to spring a leak because of it.

I was going to put a small 4-6hp kicker on my boat for trolling but the 60 does a great job by itself. I have EFI which helps and the motor will troll at 700rpm all day long and run at 1.5mph which is what you need for walleye.

As others have said, these smaller 4-strokes are easy on gas. I have a 20 gallon tank and with fishing 15-20 days a month, I top it off once a month. I should qualify that by saying that I don't do a lot of running up and down the lake.

One other thing you might want to consider is using synthetic both in the oil sump and also in the lower unit. I do believe my engine runs both quieter and smoother because of it. Might want to check where you purchased it though just to make sure it doesn't disqualify any of your warranty. You can also Google this on the net for all the pro's and con's about using synthetic versus regular oil.

Cheers.....

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hey Antler3, I have the same boat with a 50 2 stroke. I pulled a tube over the 4th of July until the cows came home and only burned 1/4 tank of gas. I am like you I have always had full sized fiberglass bass boats but they just burn a crazy amount of fuel so I downsized and I have to say I am impressed with this boat it handles like a bigger bass boat.

P.S. I talked to DH and he told me he bought one as well. I never ever figured he would get into bass fishing lol.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Antler3, I have the same boat with a 50 2 stroke. I pulled a tube over the 4th of July until the cows came home and only burned 1/4 tank of gas. I am like you I have always had full sized fiberglass bass boats but they just burn a crazy amount of fuel so I downsized and I have to say I am impressed with this boat it handles like a bigger bass boat.

P.S. I talked to DH and he told me he bought one as well. I never ever figured he would get into bass fishing lol.
LOL !! He's a mess ! They went camping with us over the weekend. We had good time. Caught a few fish. Mainly channels and perch. The little kids had fun with the perch. DH seems real happy with his boat. I hope we can all get to doing more bass fishing. Gotta learn all the ins and outs of it. Always fun to learn something new in the outdoors though :wink:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.