Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at aerials for my hunting area for new places to try this year. I want to see what everyones thoughts are on something. Do most of you hunt ridges or the valley between two ridges? Where do the deer usually bed, on ridges or in valleys? I have a block of woods and it has a food plot on the outer edge. The layout of the area is ridge, valley, ridge, food plot. I know it is vague and there are a million factors that could apply, but I am thinking of patterns in general. Thanks

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
More than likely the deer will bed in the thickest terain you have. I would position my stand in between this and their food source. Preferably on the ridge if I could look down into the valley.

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
I usually try to find a funnel of some sort, maybe where two or three ridges meet. If you have a ridge near a change of vegitation like brush to trees, trees to grass or grass to brush I would set up on the edge of the thicker stuff.

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
If you get up on the ridge the wind will carry your scent away. Down in the valley, or "hollars" as we call them, the wind does crazy things. I've seen it blow every direction in the span of an hour. I bet if you look you will find a trail just down from the ridgetop. Cruising bucks use this trail to scent check what's down below. Anytime you can find a vegitation change along the ridge it is an added bonus as it give you an edge to hunt as well. This could be as simple as a thicket. If the ridge is a white oak ridge and the acorns made, you have deer hunting heaven as far as I'm concerned. Now you just have to figgure out how to get in and out without blowing it.:biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
9,915 Posts
I was looking at aerials for my hunting area for new places to try this year. I want to see what everyones thoughts are on something. Do most of you hunt ridges or the valley between two ridges? Where do the deer usually bed, on ridges or in valleys? I have a block of woods and it has a food plot on the outer edge. The layout of the area is ridge, valley, ridge, food plot. I know it is vague and there are a million factors that could apply, but I am thinking of patterns in general. Thanks
There's been great info already posted, but I'll throw in my two cents, since you asked...

Most deer don't bed in valleys as someone already pointed out, most of the time the wind is swirling.

More than likely, the wind blows up one side of the mountain and goes down the other side. Deer bed on the downwind side of ridges, just under the top. That way they can smell if there's danger up above them or on the other side of the mountain.

I have seen a lot of deer sign in "valleys" before, especially around creek crossings...however, a "funnel" as someone else already pointed out, is probably your best bet.

When you have ridges a "saddle" is also a good place to hunt. It usually "funnels" deer and connects two different ridges and has a slight elevation changed usually leveling off a bit. Deer are going to travel on the path of least resistance like humans would, and saddles usually pinch deer travel down to one small specific area.

You might see quite a few more does than bucks, but when the rut hits, where the does are the bucks will follow...so wait it out.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I hunt drainages here, every good one has doe family. just pattern how they move up and down and play the curling wind currents. stand placement is more critical than flat land. vegetation grows better in damper ground:twak:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.