Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any laws regarding the selling of firearms by a private owner to another person. If I were to sell one of my firearms which is registered to me to another individual, how can I get the registration turned over to their name. Years down the road I would hate for one of my old guns to be used in a crime and the paper trail leads to me. I've looked on the ATF website and Arkansas State Police website, but haven't really found anything. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
88,036 Posts
In the state of Arkansas, there is no registration. Private sales among residents of the state of Arkansas are OK, as long as the purchaser is allowed to own the firearm (no sales of a handgun to a 14 year old, felon, etc). To make you feel better, you could do a bill of sale indicating the firearm's model, serial number, and the sellers and purchasers name. Both you and him sign and date it, he gets a copy, you keep a copy. I have quite a few of these in my safe from private gun sales. If the Po-Po comes asking me about a firearm used in the commission of a crime, I can show them who bought it and when they signed for it.

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
6,704 Posts
Is the firearm not automaticaly registered when you fill out the forms at the shop? Shotguns and rifles not handguns. I always just figured when you did all the scribbling you were signing your life away.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The forms you fill out stay with the dealer. There is no registration.If a crime is committed and they find a gun they go to the manufacture to see who they sold it to. Then they go to the dealer to find the consumer.

·
Administrator
88,036 Posts
Cards is correct. The 4473 is the record of the transaction that the dealer keeps. It stays with the dealer until he goes out of business, then is sent to the BATF for storage. Legally, after 20 years, the 4473's can be destroyed by the dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.