Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a huge shed during turkey season. So my question is what has been your experience with finding the same deer using the area where they were yarded up during the time that they drop thier antlers. Am I wasting my time hoping to find this buck in the same general area as I found the shed? I have found in AR that you can often find that buck in the area you found his sheds. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way I also found lots of huge sign in the area but who knows if it was made by him.

· Registered
23,103 Posts
I hunt western KS and those bucks roam for MILES. Pressure, hard winter, food supply .... anything could move them into a wintering ground other than norm.

That said, hunt local to the shed, you at least know a big one was around there.

Pics ?

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This pic does not do it justice. It measures 76.5 inches and has everything right where it is needed. With a conservative 17 inch inside spread and assuming the other side matches he would score 170" last year. I would love to see what he looks like this year.:thumb:

· Registered
14,538 Posts
I'm no KS veteran (or even beginner for that matter), but I'll give you my opinion anyway...

My bet overall would lean toward the buck being in the same general area. You definitely have an advantage in knowing that there's a huge buck around. HOWEVER, he probably uses that "general area" differently during the time of year that he shed that antler from hunting season. Food sources drive that. Farm country deer shift a lot within their area due to prefered row-crops. Also, any deer's primary food is a lot different in Feb than Oct.

So, if it was me, I'd try to figure out why he was where he was when he shed.
Hopefully, while you were turkey hunting you noticed some thickets and possible bedding areas.
Then I'd go back this summer sometime, and I'd see what kind of crops are where in relation to that area. (Of course, I say that thinking of where I went in KS that's less than 2 hrs from the house)
From there, find some big-buck sign when you get there this fall and hunt by it.

· Registered
1,048 Posts
Depends on a lot really, he shed either in or near his bedding area or in/near his late season food source, Obv a late season food source may not be a food source or may not be utilized during hunting season so I guess the answer is it just depends on where you found it.

Also, Im sure know as a non-resident tags have to be drawn for all units, the further west you get the harder it is to get nr tags.

If you haven't started already at very least start applying for KS pref points

· Suspended Indefinitely
2,956 Posts
Modern Gun season is post rut in KS. The big bucks didn't get that way standing around in bean fields during the day. Big bucks seem to go nocturnal during the gun season, unless someone pushes some timber or bumps one going in or out. Last year a guy I know fell in a mud hole on his way to a tree stand, got up, turned around and shot an eight point. :smack: He admitted he would have never seen the deer if he hadn't fell. After 34 years, I still don't have one.
That deer will still be ranging around that location, but you will have to locate him in mid Nov and hope he is still there come Dec.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.