Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you carry your rifle to the tree you intend to climb? For years, I've carried my gun in a hard, plastic gun case even if I have to walk a mile in. Reason is, I can't stand the thought of bark and other debris falling down on my rifle and scope as I climb the tree or the gun potentially bumping something as I raise it up by the pull rope. I'm anal when it comes to keeping my hunting equipment in good shape...especially my guns. I'm always looking for easier, more efficient ways of doing things so what do you guys do to protect your gun/scope until you get nestled in your climber?

·
Premium Member
Commish Weld
22,906 Posts
I have always used pop up scope caps and a sling. Throw it over my shoulder and walk in. When I get to the tree, I climb and use a pull rope to pull the rifle up. I guess if you insist on carrying your rifle in a case, just take some "scent away" spray to hose down the case before you lower it to the ground or hang it in the tree with you.

·
Super Moderator
14,003 Posts
I climbed with it over my back when I gun hunted. I do the same with my bow. I look at my guns and bows as tools that I use. If a guns to pretty to use I leave it in the safe and use one that don't matter. Sounds like you need to buy a beat up gun and use it to hunt with lol.

·
Premium Member
17,824 Posts
Outside of a safe queen, guns are tools. Throw it over your shoulder and then use a pull up rope at the tree.

I've shot too many going and coming to ever consider a cased gun to and from the stand.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I climbed with it over my back when I gun hunted. I do the same with my bow. I look at my guns and bows as tools that I use. If a guns to pretty to use I leave it in the safe and use one that don't matter. Sounds like you need to buy a beat up gun and use it to hunt with lol.
X2. That's kinda like not gettin a skinin' knife bloody.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Agreed. Wish i could offer some helpful advice but my thought is if it tears up with careful use out of the case it aint worth much. My ole rifle takes a beating and keeps on shooting.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got over 30 hunting rifles that I like to rotate between so just using one beater isn't what I prefer. My guns aren't just something to look at in the safe. I do use them and like to keep them in good shape should I ever want to sell or trade one of them even though that's unlikely.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Outside of a safe queen, guns are tools. Throw it over your shoulder and then use a pull up rope at the tree.

I've shot too many going and coming to ever consider a cased gun to and from the stand.
Throw it over my shoulder with a climber and backpack strapped to my back? Not sure that would work so well. I do use a pull-up rope, I just pull the gun and case up and lower the case.

Looks like I don't have many options, it's either use a case or be content with getting pine bark and sap on my rifle and scope.

I do lose the opportunity for a quick shot coming to and from the stand. Guess that's a compromise I've accepted.

·
Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
365 Posts
I use an ol man climber I usually strap my back pack to my climber and throw my climber on my back and carry my gun. Not in a case and use my pull rope to pull it up with or if I forget my pull rope throw the gun over my back and start climbing.

·
Super Moderator
14,003 Posts
I've got over 30 hunting rifles that I like to rotate between so just using one beater isn't what I prefer. My guns aren't just something to look at in the safe. I do use them and like to keep them in good shape should I ever want to sell or trade one of them even though that's unlikely.
Different strokes for different folks.
I guess your stuck with having a big case in the tree with you. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I sling my climber on my back and tie all of my gear to it except my gun. I carry it my gun with a neoprene scope cover until I get settled in and ready to hunt. If I need to shoot before I get where I'm going I just pull it off and shoot.
I saw an advertisement for a rifle sling/protective cover that works similar to a primos bow sling. It covered from the barrel to the butt and is waterproof and was held on with elastic material to keep it snug.

It's amazing what you can do with a phone in a tree stand. Link for the product is below.

https://www.fettsgear.com/products/solo-hunter-rifle-cover

·
Super Moderator
9,449 Posts
I put my climber on my back. Put a sling on my gun, extend the sling to as big as it will go, throw my sling over my neck which puts my gun in front of me. I can still use it, but the scope is about at my chest. If it gets hit by a tree, so do I. ha And using the sling this way allows you to still easily carry the gun hands free. Then when I get to the tree, use a pull up rope.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.