Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
21,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m curious here and hoping to see what your thoughts are. So I have a few buddies and family members that stay on me all year long about I need to go to Mississippi in the state not river to catch the trophy slabs. Yes I know the big 4 lakes there certainly have the trophies. There’s even some Mississippi River stuff I’ve seen that rival those lakes on football size slabs. I’ve fished just about all the oxbows from St Francis down to where the White dumps in the Mississippi. Sure we have caught some nice size. But I’m extremely puzzled on how these Mississippi lakes keep producing the quality size. 2 plus lbers up to 3 lbs. Now I’m sure someone has caught that on this side of the river but I wonder if consistent compared to those 4 lakes.

My other question is why do our clear lake crappie in Arkansas not have the same reputation. I see a bunch caught and a handful of 2 plus lbers but not like I see in Mississippi. I’m sure it has something to do with muddy water and food, anyways I guess I’ll be buying a Mississippi fishing license and see if I can catch a few.

Also I did see a well known Crappie Guide state that believes crappie are just like deer , as to say it’s genetics on those 2.5 to 3 lbers.

· Registered
32,358 Posts
Those lakes are river fed impoundment s. Lots of structure, spawning area, shad and heavily fished to fight overpopulation. Heavily stained water to create a better prey ambush environment. They got it all.
Bingo, there’s your answer. Super fertile water that gets heavily fished and allows those fish to get big. I would bet genetics has something to do with it too but just a hunch.

· Registered
2,639 Posts
That water rises and falls consistently. Flood control lakes are known to have great crappie habitat and producing BIG fish. There are some flood control lakes in this state that have the same reputation.

One thing I think plays a big factor in it is the shad population. Shad thrive in those lakes as well, in turn giving those crappie plenty to eat.

· Registered
1,659 Posts
I’m curious here and hoping to see what your thoughts are. So I have a few buddies and family members that stay on me all year long about I need to go to Mississippi in the state not river to catch the trophy slabs. Yes I know the big 4 lakes there certainly have the trophies. There’s even some Mississippi River stuff I’ve seen that rival those lakes on football size slabs. I’ve fished just about all the oxbows from St Francis down to where the White dumps in the Mississippi. Sure we have caught some nice size. But I’m extremely puzzled on how these Mississippi lakes keep producing the quality size. 2 plus lbers up to 3 lbs. Now I’m sure someone has caught that on this side of the river but I wonder if consistent compared to those 4 lakes.

My other question is why do our clear lake crappie in Arkansas not have the same reputation. I see a bunch caught and a handful of 2 plus lbers but not like I see in Mississippi. I’m sure it has something to do with muddy water and food, anyways I guess I’ll be buying a Mississippi fishing license and see if I can catch a few.

Also I did see a well known Crappie Guide state that believes crappie are just like deer , as to say it’s genetics on those 2.5 to 3 lbers.
Maybe because the people in Arkansas that are catching the big crappie ain't posting them on facepage.

· Registered
11,967 Posts
Maybe because the people in Arkansas that are catching the big crappie ain't posting them on facepage.
According to what I see the rare times I get on fb, I’m gonna say that statement is not accurate.
Admittedly, one is a guide and a couple of them tournament fish, but they definitely make a point to post pics.

· Registered
11,669 Posts
12” length limit makes a difference as well. Around here, if it will cover a ritz cracker, it goes in the box.
Was fishing with a guy years ago and he was keeping some tiny crappie. I said man why you keeping those fish. He says “I eat butterbeans and them crappie are bigger than a butterbean.”

· Registered
1,659 Posts
According to what I see the rare times I get on fb, I’m gonna say that statement is not accurate.
Admittedly, one is a guide and a couple of them tournament fish, but they definitely make a point to post pics.
i am not talking about the crappie.com crowd, i am talking about the people that go out and catch fish for the skillet.

· Registered
21,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First you need us to tell you what kind of chair to fish in, now where to fish. You need tips on cleaning and frying too?
. Wise man told me once that a picture is worth a thousands words. Lol. But if you’re willing to divulge your honey holes, I’m all ears.
Food Tableware Ingredient Bottle Recipe

Food Ingredient Deep frying Recipe Cuisine

1 - 20 of 39 Posts