Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often, if ever to you unload your clip? I know I have worn out the clip on my .22 rifle by leaving it loaded all the time. I keep my pistol in my truck and it is always loaded. Should I empty the clip every week, month, or does it matter? Can I reload right afterwards or should I let it sit empty for a while??

·
Administrator
81,448 Posts
You'll find varying opinions on this. The general consensus is that springs wear due to cycling. Leaving one loaded for extended periods of time is reported to be better than loading and unloading every day. I have read reports of magazines being found that have been loaded for decades and they still work just fine. Understand that this is what I have read, I haven't done this experiment myself.

Personally, I run ammo through my HD and CCW guns several times a year, but the guns I compete with have sometimes hundreds of rounds put through them in a week. I've been competing for over 20 years and never had a mag spring failure. These mags are loaded over and over.

Probably what ever you decide to do will be just fine.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
I was reading something about this a couple of weeks ago on another website, but I don't remember which one. Basically they were saying that if it is a newer gun, that the springs should hold up to the tension, older model guns may have more of a problem with the springs breaking. The reason why the newer ones hold up better was because of the the new technologies & metals used to make the springs. I don't really know other than what I have read though.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info!! I do not shoot it very much, just want it to be ready Heaven forbid I ever have to pull it!!

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Thanks for the info!! I do not shoot it very much, just want it to be ready Heaven forbid I ever have to pull it!!
It wouldn't be much fun to need a gun real bad, and have something real bad go wrong with that gun...

If you're worried about your older mag springs being inferior or subject to failure, replacements are available and they're not real expensive. Try the usual suspects like Brownell's, Midway, et al. Sometimes it's worth the cost of a new part if it gives you peace of mind.

I've had to replace the loooong coil springs in very old tubular magazine .22's before, but I've never had (or heard of) modern springs fail in a detachable magazine. If Mr. C can't wear them out the rest of us should be just fine.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a newer gun.....It is a .40 S&W Sigma that is just over a year old. I hate the trigger pull on the gun, but cannot afford to upgrade right now. I talked to a gunsmith about working on it, but he said it would cost almost as much as the gun and wouldn't help that much.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
It is a newer gun.....It is a .40 S&W Sigma that is just over a year old. I hate the trigger pull on the gun, but cannot afford to upgrade right now. I talked to a gunsmith about working on it, but he said it would cost almost as much as the gun and wouldn't help that much.
How many rounds have you shot through it? Maybe it'll loosen up with a couple thousand more....Sounds like fun, doens't it? :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many rounds have you shot through it? Maybe it'll loosen up with a couple thousand more....Sounds like fun, doens't it? :biggrin:
No more than a couple hundred.....Anybody got a couple thousand rounds I can have???? That stuff is expensive!!!!!:smack:

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
No more than a couple hundred.....Anybody got a couple thousand rounds I can have???? That stuff is expensive!!!!!:smack:
I'm obviously no expert, but it sounds like you're still breaking in a new pistol.

Unload, field strip it, then hose out and clean the trigger/fire control parts with a solvent cleaner like WD-40 to eliminate gunk, chunks and trash, cycling the trigger as you spray. Then blow it dry and apply real oil because WD-40 goes away and leaves things unlubed. Sometimes ugly triggers are due to loose debris from all those new parts getting to know each other and breaking in; if that's your case a good flush and lube could help.

Don't sweat the trigger pull untill it's got some more miles on it. If a trigger job costs as much as a new pistol, you may need to shop around for a new gunsmith!

Can't help you with the ammo, I'm struggling with that one myself :frown:

·
Premium Member
14,528 Posts
Leave em loaded and you'll be fine. Of all the shooting I do and all the people I know that shoot and all the web pages I read about shooting, I'm yet to encounter a modern spring that wore out under the tension of being loaded.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I only replaced my original Glock mags last year after over five and a half years of service. I never had a failure even then, but there was a sale on factory mags and I felt like it was time. They had been left loaded most of that time and had shot about 15k~ rds over that time frame!

I still use these mags and have them as back-up mags in my gear vest, at the range and on training days etc.etc. Still no malfunctions!

Since your mags are only a year old, I wouldn't sweat it as long as they are factory mags. Some after market ones are less than reliable and may need to be changed out more frequently.

One suggestion... use good quality factory or better quality after-market mags!!! They are the heart of the semi-autos functioning!!! Nearly all malfunctions of semi-auto handguns can be attributed to faulty mags! If you ever have a mag to malfunction or especially to malfunction more than once.... replace it!!!!

Mags are like spare tires and fire extinguishers... not worth a damn if they don't work! And a lot cheaper than the alternative!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts