question for coon doggers

Discussion in 'Huntin' Dogs' started by burkeju76, Dec 30, 2010.

1. burkeju76

burkeju76 Well-Known Member

ok guys, i have a question for some of yall that have some experience with tree dogs. I have a BnT male that is 13 months old. Most of the time this dog is the best behaved, best minding dog I've ever seen. However, when he gets on a tree, he is extremely possessive. There is no walking up and snapping a lead on this dog when he is treed. When you walk up beside him his bark almost changes over to what sounds like a face bark. Also, when a coon hits the ground and is dead, reaching down to get it is not advisable either...ultimately with a little adjustment on the top of the head I can resolve it, but usually to get to that point it has to get worst first. I start to discipline the dog and he digs his heels in and basically we are fighting at that point....so, have you seen this? This game is about the dog work, and I get so mad at all this it pretty much ruins the night after this...He has never been hunted with another dog, so I dont know if he'd fight another dog or not, but if I had to bet I'd say he would. It is almost like this dog is out of his mind when he is treeing...can this be fixed?

2. thelineman

thelineman Well-Known Member

You HAVE to show him who is the alpha dog. You HAVE to make him submit to you. I would bet he would be very aggressive with another dog at the tree. I would not want to hunt him with another dog that i cared about, especially if it belonged to someone else.

3. arc3162

arc3162 Well-Known Member

I am normally not one to advocate shock collars, but it sounds to me like you are in dire need of one. My dogs will only growl at me one time. I am the alpha male in my house and they know it. One growls at me and I will put a knot on his head quick fast and in a hurry. My suggestion would be to nip it in the bud as soon as possible. walk up to him on a tree and try to clip him on a lead. If he turns on you or growls at you burn the hair off of him with a shock collar then clip him. a few times of that and just the warning beep of the chock collar will be enough to calm him right down.

If you don't have a shock collar use the lead to lay into him. He will get the picture of who the boss is.

4. austincrutchfield

austincrutchfield Well-Known Member

i agree with arc, this is what i was going to suggest. You just got to let him know you are the boss and you will not put up with this type of behovior. :thumb:

5. burkeju76

burkeju76 Well-Known Member

I am going to be careful what I say here, but let's just say I own a shock collar and have used it. I will also say the woods are full of green limbs. Any discipline makes the situation worse...he goes from possessiveness to 'this dude is tryin to kill me' defensiveness...i mean it is like a neverending cycle, the madder i get, the meaner he gets and there doesnt seem to be an end...

6. I would try a long peice of weed eater cord say 30' the heaviest you can find, put it on the collar that way when he trees you can control him & pull him off the tree & maybe get a handle on him. Pull him back talk to him don't loose your cool & stay calm. Worth a try & don't worry about the cord getting hung up I have used it for 12 to 15 years on running hounds & never had a problem. Hope it works!

7. Razoo97

Razoo97 Well-Known Member

That dog is bred that way! It's not comeing out of him. I can almost bet he is very tightly line bred or inbred!! Shocking him or betting him will only make it worst. Seen it ,been there, done that with this type of dog. I would not even try to hunt him with another dog. Sounds like a good meat dog.

8. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

This may sound crazy but have u tried standing over the coonstaring him down not yelling or hitting at. Just stand over the coon with that this Is my d*** coon look. Until he backs up then pick up the coon. Not sure how to go about getting him off the tree. I do know that with this dog u gonna have to remain calm to keep him from escalateing from what u said.

9. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

Here is my opinion there are just some dogs in the world that are mean. We call them alligators. In my experiance there is not much you can do about it. If disciplineing him makes it worse and he wants to fight with you. He will for sure eat another dog alive around the tree most certianly another male. Shocking collars only need to be used for breaking a dog off trash and teaching a stubborn one the meaning of come here.JMO. It will not fix aggressive problems. 99.9% of the time it will make it worse. I hate to say this but if it was my dog and it had tried to bite me it would not have walk out of the woods to have done it again. If you get my drift. I may be cruel in somes eyes but I have been hunting coonhounds for quit a few years and it is my personal experiances that make me this way. I have never seen a mean dog ever get anything but worse. It is nothing to the fault of the owner in most cases it is simply in his Genetics and breeding. I would figure if you can go back far enuff in his bloodlines you will find others that were as crazy as him.

10. Razoo97

Razoo97 Well-Known Member

right on!
    Before I get misunderstood I have nothing against line bred dogs or inbred dogs. I have bred both ways. You have got to CULL and CULL hard!

11. I for one will not tolerate a I'll dog and will cull that sucker quicker than most. With that being said my papa told me that he knew a guy with a beagle dog that was good as they come but would eat you up for the dead rabbit. He said that the man chained the dog up at his back door and every time he had to piss he would walk out back and piss on the dog, said it didn't take long for him to come around. Like razoo said I would not hunt it with anything else though cause he can sure enough ruin a good one for ya. All that being said I would cull him

12. ghost

ghost Active Member

If you really like the dog and want to keep it get you a muzzle and put on him it will keep you from getting bit and will take a little fight out of the dog when he knows he cant defend himself anymore.Ive been with a few dogs that had to have that done.Just make sure you try to shoot the coons out pretty dead.lol But they have no trouble running or treeing with a muzzle.I think you can get one from the nite light store.If he was mine I would cull him he'll just get worse probably thats my past experience.Its bred in to him like the other guys said.goodluck

13. Start over

:giveup::giveup:I AGREE WITH ENGLISHDAWGS.I BEEN BREEDING AND HUNTING 28 YRS.IF HE HAS DONE ALL THIS ON HIS OWN WITHOUT A PERSON OR DOG TRIGGERING THE PROBLEM ITS IN HIS BRAIN,BLOOD.THIS ONE WILL GET WORSE.WOULD YOU BREED HIM IF YOU BROKE HIM OF IT?IF YOU DID YOU WOULD MAKE MORE.I WOULD ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM QUICKLY.SOONER OR LATER HE WELL BITE YOU AND IF HES THAT AGRESSIVE IT WONT BE NICE!OR BITE SOMEONE ELSE THEN YOU GOT REAL PROBLEMS.I DREW OUT WITH ONE LIKE THIS IN A HUNT A FEW WEEKS BACK.HE TRIED TO BITE HIS OWNER,ALMOST GOT ME WHILE HANDLING MY DOG AT THE TREE.WASNT NICE EXCHANGE OF WORDS BETWEEN ME AND HIS OWNER.THE DOG WAS VICIOUS BUT HE WAS THE JUDGE IN THE CAST SO HE DID NOT GET SCRATCHED,MY DOG STILL WON THE CAST BUT HE GOT SOME HOLES IN HIM FROM FANGS.MAKES A GUY WANT TO BE PLEASURE HUNTIN .GOOD LUCK,TOO MANY OUT THERE THAT WONT BITE.YOU CANT BREAK INSANE!!HE IS NOT THE KIND TO LET GET OUT NO MATTER HOW BAD SOMEONE ELSE MAY WANT HIM.SORRY FOR THE BAD LUCK,AND HOPE YOU DONT GET BIT.IF YOU GOT TO KEEP HIM MUZZLE HIM WHEN HUNTIN HIM,WONT EFFECT HIS BARKING BUT CAN GET HUNG UP ON STUFF. BLUE DOG

14. LOL...Sounds like one of my Bad to the Bones Cane bred males. He is a pitbull at the tree. He has never showed any aggression towards me or anyone else though. If you ever decide he is too much hound for you let me know. I possible would be interested in him...I did however own a walker male that sounds just like him. He would also bite if you tried to take him out the box and he didn't want out. He was a coon treeing rascal though.

15. shady grove

shady grove Well-Known Member

Some hard tree dogs will "mouth" you when you first walk up to the tree, especially if they dont know your there. There is a difference in "mouthing" and biting. Be sure he knows you are there before you put your hands on him or pat him up on the tree. Im always leary of disciplining a young dog around a tree with a coon in it. It would be easy to screw him up bad. I hunted a blue english dog for a while that was "cabin creek" bred, he was just a bad dog. He was a coondog but he was rough on the tree and as far as I know he never came out of it. Alot of dogs that will fight at the tree wont bother a gyp only males, not him if it had its feet on the tree it was getting a thrashin.

16. fatherof4

fatherof4 Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with Englishdogs. There is no room for a mean dog on my place. I have to look at it like this. I have two boys that love to hunt and a lot of times their friends go with us. So I have to trust that the dogs I own will not hurt them in any way. So mean dogs do not last long around here, no matter how good they are.

If that dog is as bad as you say it is, it may be time to start over. :banghead: Some bad habits can't be broken.

17. What to do

If you keep this dog neuter him, I don't know that it will keep him from being mean but it will keep him from passing these behaviors on to his offspring. You may break him to the point that he does not try to bite you but you will never be able to let your guard down. I sure would not want him hunted with my hounds and I think that will go for most everyone else. This sport is to much fun and there are to many hounds out there that are a pleasure to hunt and they will not keep you from having friends to hunt with. I am not trying to be hateful or mean just sharing about 40 years of coon hound experience.

18. cull him dont sell or give away cut your loss and cull there is not room for this kind of dog.like the words of wisdom you have been given by the people here some guys will breed this type dog and call it tree power you can call this nothing but mean.this type dog has caused many people to stop comp. hunting you put hard time on a young dog get him going good take him to a hunt get him eat up by one of these so called hard tree dogs and all your work went out the window.beleve me there is enough out there now we dont need more.o let me add this i am not picking on breeds there are bad ones in all breeds be it blue red black english or walker plott and the new kid on the block lepord hound just my two cents and about 30 years chasing hounds

19. i agree with all opinions said iv been doing the coon hunting thing for around 25 years dogs like him dont get cured maybe better after a bunch of beatings or shockings butnever cured, they are allagators and always will be its in their blood and genes all dogs have the mean gene it just comesout in some harder than others imop i would put the dog down now save your self or someone else som heartach and bad feelings this dog can and will if continued to hunt ruin another dog and possible a friendship just my honest opinon

20. RWilliams

RWilliams Well-Known Member

I have been coon hunting for 43 years since I was 15 years old and from what you've said he sounds like a true alligator. No matter how good he is on coons or paper he's not the kind you want to hunt or breed. I would put him down and would never try to put him off on anyone else even if they think they can fix him. He will not change and you or another dog or even worse a young person could be badly injured. There are too many good dogs to hunt with that make hunting a pleasure not a nightmare. Good luck.

Roger