Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
opiniated, long time shootists..... HELP !!!! ME !!!

I just bought a L.N.I.B Browning BL 22. I need a decent scope and rings for it. I have never scopped a .22 before, and I don't know where to start. I was thinking anywhere from a weaver to a nikon but I just don't know , so I am throwing this out here, looking for your thoughts , but not trying to start a war.

The gun is great, clean and beautiful, and I bought it for 350.00. I don't want or need to spend a bunch on the scope. This rig will be for my kids to plink with, and hammer some squirrls and / or wrabbits , or snakes , or whatever they find to use as a target.

So man up you bums and give me your best thoughts on the matter. Brand, fixed or zoom, range, and obj. size. But please, nothing in the Loopy or higher price range. I'm not daddy warbucks and i'm not spending more on the scope than I did for the rimfire gun.

Thanks in advance, and please keep the return name calling to a minimum. I have very sensitive feelings......LOL....

·
Administrator
87,182 Posts
I have several Bushnell Banner Dawn to Dusk variables on my rimfire bolt gun and a couple of 10/22's and have been very pleased with them. Personally, I like the AO scopes, it helps my old eyes focus better on the target. I usually sight my rimfire 22's in a 40 yards. Without dragging them out of the safe, it seems like they are 3x12 or 4x12, somewhere in that range. They also have 40mm objectives. Since the farthest I will probably take a shot at a squirrel with a 22 rimfire will be 50 yards or so, these scopes do fine for what I call on them to do. This rifle has a Weaver TO9 base and BKL mounts.

Here's one on a 10/22...

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Not an expert on this, but I would think any decent scope.....a BSA, Weaver, Bushnell, Simmons, or even a Barska (cheap, but I've had good luck with them).......in a 3X9...in maybe a 40 or 42 mm Obj, would work really good..........personally, I prefer the 50mm Obj.......

just don't go with the smaller 3/4 in size tube with the 22 dovetail type rings ......just too hard for a youngen to see thru.........the recoil is definately not a problem, and with that rifle, i don't very seriuosly if it will ever be abused.........

JMHO

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Not an expert on this, but I would think any decent scope.....a BSA, Weaver, Bushnell, Simmons, or even a Barska (cheap, but I've had good luck with them).......in a 3X9...in maybe a 40 or 42 mm Obj, would work really good..........personally, I prefer the 50mm Obj.......

just don't go with the smaller 3/4 in size tube with the 22 dovetail type rings ......just too hard for a youngen to see thru.........the recoil is definately not a problem, and with that rifle, i don't very seriuosly if it will ever be abused.........

JMHO
Yep like HG said!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain and say I hate big scopes on a 22rf. When I think 22rf, I think light and fun. A 32mm obj. is as big as I care to go and a 28mm is more better,IMO.

There are some good rimfire scopes in the $100-150 range that are worth a look.Nikon prostaf,Weaver classics,Sightron S1. Depending on how close you want to get to that $350 gun price, the Leupold rimfire starts in at the $200 mark.

·
Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,207 Posts
This is the scope I use on all my rifles. It's been a really great scope, especially for the money. Everybody that's ever looked through it thinks it cost 2 or 3 hundred dollars more than it did. It's easy to see through, especially for my old eyes, and the lighted reticle is great in low light.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=154372

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would go to Walmart or some sporting goods store and get a $25-30 Bushnell and go from there. There are scopes designed for rimfires in every price range. I like the Banner's mentioned above and the Nikon for $99 would be fine too.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
This is the scope I use on all my rifles. It's been a really great scope, especially for the money. Everybody that's ever looked through it thinks it cost 2 or 3 hundred dollars more than it did. It's easy to see through, especially for my old eyes, and the lighted reticle is great in low light.

Man that's a great price for that size scope if the quality is a good as you say. I might get one for my 06

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I'll give my vote for a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn. I've got a 3-9x40 on my CZ .22, and it gives me all the magnification I need and then some for longer shots on squirrels, the glass is pretty clear for a relatively cheap scope (think it was about $60-75 new), and I can't think of anything I don't like about it.

·
Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,207 Posts
Manybeards,

I've not been disappointed with the scope. It comes with mounts, flip-down covers, and about a three inch extension that screws into the front lens mount. The covers and mounts are not fancy, but I've never had any trouble with any of it. Been shooting them for about three years, and have never had to readjust them. They're always on target year after year.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I believe a 56mm might be a little bigger than I want to go on a BL22...

I think 40mm would be the max for me...

MET

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
I put the cheapest scope I could find on mine for the grandkids to shoot and knock around. It is a Sightron and I got it at Walmart. I used high base mounts because that was also the cheapest I could find at Walmart. Total is less than $50.
It shoots really great at 35 yards on the Browning BL-22. If the kids drop it I have a minimum at risk. Some day, I may have it drilled and taped for bases and mounts and put a Leupold Rifleman 2x7, 33mm on it. But that will be after the grandkids mature a bunch. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.