Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been hearing lots about shad nets rigged up with lights to fish with at night. Any body tell me if you just buy a cast net and then buy your own lights to rig them up with ? Have looked for the nets with lights and don't find any anywhere.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,582 Posts
Been hearing lots about shad nets rigged up with lights to fish with at night. Any body tell me if you just buy a cast net and then buy your own lights to rig them up with ? Have looked for the nets with lights and don't find any anywhere.
That;s how the vietnames fisherman caught them. They had a square net tied at each corner to two long bamboo poles shaped like an x or a +....the net was fastened to a long ginpole with a lantern at the top. They let the net down almost to the bottom of the river or canal[with the lantern right above the water's surface] and every thirty minutes or so they'd raise the net and dip out the shad! These were not used for bait, but rather...fermented into a thick yellow oily liquid called Nouc mam....a salty flavoring for rice!:up:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,582 Posts
That one I'm talking about is not a cast net...it is a "dip" net :up:....antler3 said: "shad nets rigged up with lights".....I don't think ya could rig a "cast net" with lights....wouldn't work very well!:fit::biggrin:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
BassPro (and sometimes Wallyworld) sell the 24-inch submersible florescent light for 20-25 bucks. It glows green and works down to 10-feet underwater. Does a much better job than incandescent lights. It also draws less amps than an incandescent so it's easier on your battery.

You can buy the netting at Mephis Net Company which is on the web at: http://www.memphisnet.net/category/netting_mono_4. 1/2 inch is the best size for full grown threadfin shad.

There have been questions about the legality of this type fishing so you might want to check with the G&F. I sent in a query to the AGFC but so far, no response. I will say, that fishing with this setup is quite common on Norfork and Bull Shoals.

Cheers.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.