question about rabbits for you pheasant hunters

Discussion in 'Small Game and Bird Hunting' started by F B, Dec 28, 2010.

1. F B

F B Administrator

Cabot
    I wanted to go to Kansas or Oklahoma last year but I never got things worked out so Im thinking about trying it again this year.

For those of you that have been out there pheasant hunting this year, did you see many rabbits?

Where were you hunting?

Thanks.

2. austincrutchfield

austincrutchfield Well-Known Member

well i wasnt pheasant hunting, but while i was in kansas deer hunting i seen several rabbits

3. Swamper-AR

Swamper-AR Well-Known Member

I went to Kansas several years ago. We hunted old home places and some hedgerows. There were rabbits everywhere. When I went most of the land wasn't posted. My dogs ran a few pheasants too. I couldn't blame them cause they had never been around them. They ran those pheasants goood!:shrug:

4. F B

F B Administrator

Cabot
    Theyre supposed to have alot of land in a program that allows hunters access to it. Ive seen the map that shows the land, Im just not sure which area is best.

Somebody on here told me about a guy named Todd in Oklahoma that does pheasant hunts and will let you rabbit hunt for $65 per day and that includes staying at his lodge. I lost his number though and cant remember the name of his business. :smack:

5. btech29

btech29 Platnium Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>Stud Duck

I have seen tons on my big lease in Kansas, and I mean tons! I dont know if tons even describes it adequately.

6. Swamper-AR

Hmmmm:idea:

7. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

Hunting pheasants in the high grass next to grainfields around Liberal, KS twice recently, we saw many, many, many rabbits.

8. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    Pheasant hunted several years ago in the panhandle of OK around Guymon. Tons of rabbits. We knew somebody over there, but we ended up hunting a lot of scattered public land over there.

9. Swamper-AR

Why is it that it seems places that have a lot of rabbits have no one that is interested in hunting them and places that have mediocre numbers have a lot of hunters. Hard for me to believe that hunters are that hard on them. I hunt with a 22 pistol. Don't kill many at all.

10. F B

F B Administrator

Cabot
    Were you on public land around Liberal?

Thats a long way from Arkansas to go hunt rabbits...

11. NWA Bowhntr

NWA Bowhntr Well-Known Member

We hunted the Liberal area last year too, I was really wondering if it was just me or there was that many rabbits out there!!

If you are asking if it would be worth going out there to rabbit hunt, HECK YEAH, unless you have something against shooting your limits of rabbits in an hour or so!:fit:

Honestly I would get several guys to go, split the cost and have a heck of a hunt! The more guns you take the longer you will be able to hunt each day.

12. WillyB71

We were hunting pheasants on private land near Liberal. It is an 8 hr drive from Texarkana, but worth it. Lots of wild birds. 4/day limit.

This guy leases land from all the local farmers & charges $200/day to hunt with him providing dogs, lunch, & bird cleaning.

It was a family deal where we all loaded up and went together. Great fun.

We also saw plenty of quail & a few prairie chickens, but went in the early pheasant season when those seasons weren't open.

Walking the high grass in the irrigation pivot corners, I'll bet we kicked up a rabbit about every 60 seconds. Because of all the rabbits & pheasants, there were also enough foxes, bobcats, & coyotes to make it seem like a zoo.

13. ace777

ace777 Well-Known Member

just got back from northwest kansas yesterday and saw a ton of rabbits. guide didn't want us shooting them,said it teaches his dogs bad habits. plenty of pheasants though, 28 limits in 2 1/2 days.:biggrin:

there was 2 guys staying where we were, they were rabbit hunting public land and had their limits of rabbits.

14. F B

F B Administrator

Cabot
    Ive never been out there before so I dont have a clue where to go.

If you dont mind send me a pm and give me a ballpark idea of where to try. I wont bother your pheasants and I can keep a secret. :wink:

We might have a place to go in south central Kansas but Im not sure if its going to work out or not. Im already going to be around Springfield, Mo so western Kansas wouldnt be that much further.

Ive always heard about how many rabbits were out there and thought this might be a good chance to give it a try.

15. WillyB71

The Kansas G&F site lists many public land walk in areas on their website. That's a good place to start.

Using that as a base, many farmers would let you hunt rabbits if you asked nicely.

16. jublain

jublain Well-Known Member

we go kansas every year turkey huntin. We took my buddy's dogs one year and wore em out. Rabbit season is year round up there but i wouldn't go in the spring. We both brought back a case of tularemia.