Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went on a motorcycle ride this weekend and saw a Bunch of elk. About 20-25 cows, a large bull with antlers and a very small calf. My question is, isn`t that calf a little early and isn`t that bull a lot late dropping the antlers??? I got pics of the bull and the calf, I will post them tonight.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Danged if I know. We've only had Elk back in Arkansas since 1981, and they've been keeping a pretty low profile!

But ain't it cool, though! :thumb:

·
Registered
626 Posts
We went on a motorcycle ride this weekend and saw a Bunch of elk. About 20-25 cows, a large bull with antlers and a very small calf. My question is, isn`t that calf a little early and isn`t that bull a lot late dropping the antlers??? I got pics of the bull and the calf, I will post them tonight.Dave.
As far as the antlers go, I saw a nice heavy 8 point buck yesterday that still had both sides while I was hog hunting. We pushed him out of a thicket & he busted across the field right in front of me. I was shocked to see him with both antlers.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
About 15 years ago, I used to tell people that we would someday have limited hunting for elk in Arkansas. They all laughed and said no way. I wish I could remember who all I told so I could say I told you so.

·
Super Moderator
7,070 Posts
Dave you will have to put me on that elk when I draw my elk permit this year. That is a nice bull. I do not know much about elk either. Is the calf a newborn?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Mark, yes I think he is about 60 pounds or so. I don`t know what the birth weight would be, but I`d bet he is only a couple of weeks old. I have a friend in New Mexico, so I sent him a list of questions about that calf and the bull not having shed yet. If you draw I`d be happy to go chasing him with you. Dave.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
East Lake Hunter, I`ve been told you can see a lot of them around Jasper on hwy 7. We saw these in Boxley Valley on hwy 43 south of Ponca. Thats south of Harrison.
Dave.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Elk usually rut around August-Septemeber. I would have to say that it's about time for them to start dropping then. As far as elk with antlers still, I never saw one in MT after Feb. with antlers still attached.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Dave

The elk in the Boxley Valley don't usually loose their antlers until late March or early April. The calf you have pics of is probably the same one I took pics of about a month ago. Was he right by the intersection where Hwy. 21 turns back up the mountain towards Kingston?

·
Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
5,263 Posts
Was on vacation 2 weeks ago in Durango, Colorado, and I saw 6 to 8 bulls all with both sides. I saw a few mulies as well, they had both sides as well.

All I know is that I would like to stick one of those big boys !

Gentry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts