Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've come across a deal for a bow that I'd like to take a look at. It is a Hoyt Avenger. The guy thinks it is a 2010 model. He's never hunted with it, only shot targets. The guy told me that Archer's Advantage took a look at it and said it was in "pristine condition".

My question is, what are some things I need to look for? For you Hoyt guys, is there a way to tell what model year it is? Here's a pic:

403537_10200092762783368_96026902_n.jpg

Comes with everything in the pic. He's asking $350.

Is this a good deal?
What should I look out for when it comes to wear?
Anything else I should ask him?
Is this a good entry level bow?

Thanks for helping a first time bow buyer.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,558 Posts
The Hoyt website shows that 2008 was the last year they made the Avenger. They made the Avenger Plus in 2009. I beleive this was the "budget friendly" bow model for Hoyt, much like the turbo hawk and prohawk models.

That being said, I think this is a little overpriced. I bought a brand new in the box 2011 model Hoyt Prohawk on AT earlier this year for $275. Heard to tell from the pictures, but it doesnt look like very good accessories on that bow. So if you figured you could get a brand new bare bow for 275, I would think a 4 year old bow wouldnt be worth more than $150 or so. Even if you add $100 for accessories you are still only at $250.

Of course, this is just my opinion and if history is any predcition of the future Im sure most will disagree

·
Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting
5,620 Posts
See how it "feels". That is just as important to me as the cost. I would see if he would let you shoot it. I have shot 2000 dollars bows that felt like crap to me and 300 dollar bows that felt like gold in my hand. I wouldn't get hung up on brand.

As far as this specific bow, the price doesn't seem bad, I would try for 300. Make sure this specific model has adjustable cams. If not, and the DL is not your size, you will have to spend more money on new cams.

·
Super Member<br>2012 Turkey Contest Winner
3,475 Posts
The Hoyt website shows that 2008 was the last year they made the Avenger. They made the Avenger Plus in 2009. I beleive this was the "budget friendly" bow model for Hoyt, much like the turbo hawk and prohawk models.

That being said, I think this is a little overpriced. I bought a brand new in the box 2011 model Hoyt Prohawk on AT earlier this year for $275. Heard to tell from the pictures, but it doesnt look like very good accessories on that bow. So if you figured you could get a brand new bare bow for 275, I would think a 4 year old bow wouldnt be worth more than $150 or so. Even if you add $100 for accessories you are still only at $250.

Of course, this is just my opinion and if history is any predcition of the future Im sure most will disagree
Passthrough is right on with the year model, I'd say this is a 2009 due to the black cams.

He's also right on with the price, EXCEPT, I think $350 is good because no the accessories aren't great but it's set up, ready to shoot, and it has what looks to be about a dozen arrows, another $70-$100, and a hard case, another $40, and a release.

So, if the DL fits, I'd say get it.

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Not sure if the drawlength is adjustable on that model or not, if the drawlength is what yours is then it's a good buy, if you have to change modules or cams to get the drawlength right then it may not be a great deal.

If you buy it, good luck with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The draw length on this bow is adjustable by 2.5". Hard to tell but looks like the bigger cam which should be 27.5-30 draw that or 26.5-29". If it fits you should be a good buy. The XT1000 limbs is some of the best limbs in the business.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts