Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some advise on public ground or private land quail hunting here in Arkansas. I called Game and Fish Comm, lady did not have a clue. I am going to try to get a hold of a guy named Stephen Fowler, he is supposed to be resident quail biologist for G And F here. I have a 9 year old son who has taken an interest in hunting. I love to quail and pheasant hunt. The problem is you have to be at least 12 years old to hunt in South Dakota. So, I was going to get him started somewhere around here. I know I could go to the preserves, but would like him to see dogs on native birds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did you find anything out? I just moved to AR from Sioux City, IA which is bordered with SD. Did alot of hunting birds in both IA and SD. I would have to say that it is my passion!

I moved her about 7mo ago and right when i moved down here I took my Weimeraner and English Setter to a preserve because I didnt know where to go to find wild birds. WHAT A JOKE! My dogs were laughing at me for taking them to a place like that!

If you hear of a place PM me. I would be glad to go out with ya somewhere. Actually the dogs need it more than me! Nothing better than watching some pointers work birds!:biggrin:

I am heading back up to Sioux City for the pheasant opener the last week in Oct. cant wait to get back to the old stomping grounds and kill some pheasant!:biggrin::clap:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, glad to finally here from someone that loves to bird hunt. I am waiting on this Stephen Fowler fella to get back next week. I will let you know as soon as talk to him. I am headed to Mobridge, SD the first week of November for a nice week of pheasant hunting. Can't wait. I have german shorthairs. I am like you in that I love to watch the dogs work. How did you ever keep a job during the fall/ winter? There's no way I could have worked with the possibility of getting to bird hunt that close to home. That would be tough. Good to here from you
Chris

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Steve Fowler is the Quail Program Director for the AGFC. Quail in Arkansas are more common on private ground with landowners who are enrolling property in Farm Bill Associated programs, BUT

Public Land Areas that are worth giving a try are Gulf Mountain WMA. It is a permit hunt up there, but those who apply get drawn. Eddie Linebarger is the biologist up there for the AGFC he is really sharp and has done a lot of great things for quail.

National Forest Land out near Waldron, AR. Jerry Davis and the guys out there have done an excellent job with their Pine/Bluestem Restoration project. Be sure and stop by the Ranger Station there in Waldron and get a map. You might even as for a covey map. Birds are there just a lot of searching. Once you find them you really find them.

Holland Bottoms and Prairie Bayou WMA's have quail on them. We have a QU Chapter in Cabot that raises money to help with the native warm season grass seed costs, and discing out there. Matter of fact they have a banquet coming up the 18th of this month.

AGFC has done an excellent job with their Quail Focal Areas in conjunction with the NRCS. These are usually comprised of private landowners, but who know some of them may be willing to let you hunt. Steve would be able to answer that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey, glad to finally here from someone that loves to bird hunt. I am waiting on this Stephen Fowler fella to get back next week. I will let you know as soon as talk to him. I am headed to Mobridge, SD the first week of November for a nice week of pheasant hunting. Can't wait. I have german shorthairs. I am like you in that I love to watch the dogs work. How did you ever keep a job during the fall/ winter? There's no way I could have worked with the possibility of getting to bird hunt that close to home. That would be tough. Good to here from you
Chris
I miss it alot more than I thought I would! Be sure to PM me Chris when you hear from him!

Thanks for all the info Hambone! Prairie Bayou is just south of Lake Hamilton correct? If thats correct that wouldnt be to far from me! :biggrin:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Good luck on finding any quail. I hope you can. When I moved here from Missouri 6 years ago I gave my English Setter to my hunting partner. Couldn't stand to see him in the back yard everyday with no chance to ever hunt birds.

·
Registered
14,537 Posts
AGFC has done an excellent job with their Quail Focal Areas in conjunction with the NRCS. These are usually comprised of private landowners, but who know some of them may be willing to let you hunt. Steve would be able to answer that.
My dad and his buddy are big into bird hunting. His buddy owns 120 acres here in Benton Co that is almost all fields, and he has got a lot of help from the AGFC and I think Fed funding to plant native grasses, etc for quail.

It's all there now, he's got 120 acres of great quail habitat, but no quail. He's contacted the AGFC about trapping/transplanting some birds, but they told him that he's got the habitat, he's just got to wait for the birds to find it... I can assure you that, around here, that will NEVER happen. I've deer/turkey/squirrel hunted around that area for better than 15 yrs, and I've never heard or seen a quail. I dont think I know anyone who has.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
I may be wrong but I don't think you will ever see quail again where there are fire ants.
I raised and trained bird dogs for 30 years and it just broke my heart to see the quail disappear.
The quail Restoration projects in west central Arkansas are working to some degree but the response to habitat management is just not there. One of my friends, swears the quail decline started with the rapid increase in chicken houses that are now all over the country side in Arkansas. He may be right that the Avian Pox is a big part of the problem and it was spread by chicken litter being applied to the fields.
If I was going to try to bird hunt you might get some insights on where to hunt from Larry Hedrick, Forest Biologist with the US Forest Service in the Hot Springs, AR. office. I hope you find some birds. :thumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Chris. This is Steven Fowler. Sorry I haven't got back to you yet. I was at a conference in South Carolina all last week. I'll give you a call sometime on Monday when I get back to the office. I'm sure I have several calls and e-mails to catch up on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chris,
I got the office this morning and had no message from you on my voicemail. So I don't have a phone number to call you. If you had to use the call tree, no telling who's voice mail you got, but the secretary usually gets it to the right person.

Steve

·
Registered
383 Posts
I raise pheasasnt and quail here in arkansas we raise them on the ground with in a pen that has ample cover never had a problem with birds that would not fly. we tag all birds before realesing them. the property we train on also has quite a few quail I beleve we usually hunt it 2 times during the season and usally shoot a couple of limits it is just a hay farm. but I have talked the land owner who goes out swith me sometimes and we only cut hay during the month of august. this year we found 6 pheasants with no bands after cutting????? did they fall off?? or did they reproduce I will ocasanally find one dead on the property where are they comming from??? I belive given the right managment arkansas could have a population. no fire ants will not affect the population as much as habitat I have watched quail and pheasant set on top of piles of fire ants and pick them off as they come out the top. the quail have seemed to explode on his property siensce we have started training dogs no matter how good of a shot you are you can't get them all.
I belive that the one that get away are reproducing and if not it is taking the stress off the wild population by letting the predators take the pen raised birds. we do not med icate 2 months prior to realse so that the birds are on the samre playing field as the wild birds also quail are feed weed seed insead of gamebird feed to get them accustomed to wha they will see in the wild.I use a golden retriver to hunt wild and pen raised birds he has learned on his own to point for a couple of seconds but it does give you time to get ready.
he is only 2 and have shot over 150 pheasants over himand over 350 quail he is one nice upland dog when we go to SD for the real thing. finding all those birds and seeing the result really makes him trust his nose. good luck to all this season. and I belive the quail are starting to make a come back in arkansas but they could use alot more help!!:up:

·
Registered
383 Posts
My dad and his buddy are big into bird hunting. His buddy owns 120 acres here in Benton Co that is almost all fields, and he has got a lot of help from the AGFC and I think Fed funding to plant native grasses, etc for quail.

It's all there now, he's got 120 acres of great quail habitat, but no quail. He's contacted the AGFC about trapping/transplanting some birds, but they told him that he's got the habitat, he's just got to wait for the birds to find it... I can assure you that, around here, that will NEVER happen. I've deer/turkey/squirrel hunted around that area for better than 15 yrs, and I've never heard or seen a quail. I dont think I know anyone who has.
PM me I have some Ideas to fixing your problem

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I'm seeing more than used to, maybe they are making a comeback. During turkey season I jump several coveys on public land, casey jones. I've seen 3 coveys last fall 10-15 birds each while deer hunting. Saw a good size covey this fall on a fence row on a farm next to ours. We have enrolled some in quail strips, hope to see them one day by the dozens. I think some of Wattensaw was suppose to be managed for quail, but not sure. You might also try some hunting outfit to take the kid and shoot some birds.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you still leaving next week? We are leaving next Friday, headed for Firesteel, South Dakota. I got some good info from Stephen Fowler. He gave me some names and places to consider. I am following up on the names, but as soon as I get more info I will get back to you. Have good time hunting
Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
quial have made a comeback guys. not only here in the hills, but back in my old stomping grounds in the bottoms. cant wait until nov 1.
just wanted to share a little about my trip in september to montana. greatest hunt ever.
sharptails and hun partridge. unbelievable..... NE Montana is the pointing
dog dream hunt. landowners are great folks,birds everywhere. we took my brits and my friend deion,s pointers and brits cant wait to get back out there.
25 hours one way, it was worth it. if you ever have a chance to go dont hesitate.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.