Pump or auto?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Quack addict, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Quack addict

Quack addict Well-Known Member

Why do you shoot either?

What's the pros & cons of an automatic over a pump or pump over an auto?

2. xdamagexx

xdamagexx Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner

i shoot a pump.
    pump is cheaper.
    i tend to shoot less shells with a pump.
    have had problems in the past with a autoload. jams.

autos are faster shooters!

3. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I shoot an auto most of the time - reduced recoil because of absorption of felt recoil to work the action, which allows for a slightly quicker controlled second shot. So I would say reduced recoil and the slightly faster followup shot. My Benelli is probably lighter than most pumps and still has manageable recoil, which in a pump of the same weight, would probably produce more felt recoil. That being said, my old 870 has had a lot of rounds through it.

4. grassduck

grassduck Well-Known Member

Pump, because of reilability and affordability. Never owned anything else. Anytime I try and shoot a buddies auto I try and pump it:banghead:

5. reggie-2-guns

reggie-2-guns Well-Known Member

Auto

Less recoil. Reggie is getting old(er).

R2G

6. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

I shoot a pump but am wanting to switch to a Auto mainly cause I keep short stroking the second round and it's costing me ducks:mad: I've tried to fix my problem but haven't had any luck:shrug:

7. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Neither! :thumb:

8. Pump! I have had both and prefer to use a pump. Very consistant every time, and I dont shoot as many shells, sometimes I go Boob,Boom, instead of Boom,Boom,Boom, everytime! :banghead: And I hit more with the pump, i guess I take my time a little more with it?

9. coonnutz

Good looking gun, what kind is that?

I have a Yildiz O/U that I hunt with occasionally...

10. nturchi

nturchi Well-Known Member

Nope not that either I prefer a bolt action

11. jeffro788

jeffro788 Member

I shot a pump starting with an 870, then to a BPS 10 GA, and a Benelli Supernova and I switched to an auto last year. I have a Browning Silver and a Gold, I enjoy the automatics waaaaaaaaay more. I shot as many shells with a pump as I did an automatic, but hit more on the second shot with the automatic. I still have the BPS 10, and will never sell it, but as far as a 12ga, the automatics are my new favorite.

12. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

It's a Citori. I just got that pic off the net .. Mine's just like it but has a Camo Barrel too. :up:

I have heard lot's of good things about those Yildiz doubles. Do you like yours?

13. coonnutz

I love it:up: It's the truest shotgun I've ever shot:clap:

14. bawildcat71

bawildcat71 Well-Known Member

I have shot everything u named and i currently hunt with a browning silver and im with you 100%..

15. BPShunter

BPShunter Member<br>2008 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2

What pump do you shoot?

BPShunter

16. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

I bought a M-1 Super 90 back in the 80's. Thought it was gonna be my go to duck gun. Had a problem with it freezing up. My old 870 I had no problems with it. Hunted with another friend who used a Benelli also. He asked me how I solved the freezing problem with my 870? I told him I just held the receiver under water and agitated it. He didn't want to try it with his Benelli either.

Still an 870 guy. Anybody else ever had problems with auto's freezing up and not getting but one shot or no shot? Maybe not if you hunt in a warm pit.

17. webbtoes

webbtoes Well-Known Member

I shoot autos but all this talk about pumps made me get mine out. Winchester 1200 magnum, going to take it this weekend:thumb:Haven t shot it since the early 90s maybe bring some of the luck we had back then.

18. BPShunter

BPShunter Member<br>2008 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2

Shot my Maxus in teens and 20's a few weeks ago. No problems with cycling. Also dunked it on the water and mud chasing a cripple Saturday. Poured the water out of the barrel and swatted the cripple. Cycled the next round no problem. Wasn't very cold Saturday though.

BPShunter

19. arkansasappraiser

arkansasappraiser Well-Known Member

I have shot a BPS 12 gauge for several years now and love it. I just bought a BPS 10 gauge this fall and like it OK. Can't really get use to the weight of the gun though...but I plan on keeping it. It will be used for geese and turkey if nothing else. Before the BPS's I shot 870 Wingmaster and 870 Super Mag. Shot an 11-87 for a minute, but prefer a PUMP. BPS forever!!!:clap:

20. Quack addict

Quack addict Well-Known Member

I too, own a couple 1100's but don't use them very much. My main reason I think I use a pump is that I'm comfortable with it. Now mind you, I hunt in water that ranges from 3ft deep to 23ft deep depending on the river. Now, I would still hate to lose a gun over the edge of the boat but, I personally could absorb a $300+ loss as opposed to a grand or more.Now that's just my reasoning.

Performance wise, In my opinion, the autos have come a long way! ( freezing-up, jam's..ect..ect). I just no that my ol' 870 hasn't failed me yet and I'm one of those " if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind'a guys. Nearly all my buddys are using autos and I really like how they feel and look.

I guess I've just got attached to the ol' girl and like a dog, has been a faithfull companion.