Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
now that I think about it, I think they may have been fishing. They said that there was a small sign on a tree that they didn't notice on the way in before daylight. I don't remember for sure, but I do think they were duck huntin.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
They don't either. The point I was making was if your gonna duct the back waters of the river, make sure you pay attention to signs. It was dark and they said it was a very small sign that did not reflect, so they didn't see it on the way in.

·
Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner
622 Posts
river hunting

stay off they bank, and you should be ok look for paint most of the places that ive seen are clearly marked. grew up hunting round dumas and fought a camp all the time bout hunting rights and basically we were told if we didnt touch land we were o.k.. all laws apply to downed game on the land though read laws about that.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
stay off they bank, and you should be ok look for paint most of the places that ive seen are clearly marked. grew up hunting round dumas and fought a camp all the time bout hunting rights and basically we were told if we didnt touch land we were o.k.. all laws apply to downed game on the land though read laws about that.....
Ditto! I've talked with Game Wardens in my area many times about this as well as the Corps of Engineers. When in doubt, stay in the boat. As long as you are on water accessed by the Arkansas River you are fine, just don't get out of the boat when you are unsure.

That being said, I would exercise extreme caution if you are talking about small streams and such going back into properties. If you have to get on the ground to retrieve a bird, probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
647 Posts
"On the ground to retrieve a bird" - Is this dry ground or wet ground? If I have my boat anchored and I get out of the boat with chest waders to retrieve downed game on the water. Is that allowable?

Floating versus walking is a big deal.

If I use a boat to get to a spot, can I then walk/wade in the water to duck hunt?

With so much water in some sloughs, that you can access off the main river channel, that is some prime hunting oppertunities.

Any thing else to consider?

·
Registered
4 Posts
"On the ground to retrieve a bird" - Is this dry ground or wet ground? If I have my boat anchored and I get out of the boat with chest waders to retrieve downed game on the water. Is that allowable?

Floating versus walking is a big deal.

If I use a boat to get to a spot, can I then walk/wade in the water to duck hunt?

With so much water in some sloughs, that you can access off the main river channel, that is some prime hunting oppertunities.

Any thing else to consider?
I've always interpreted it to be dry ground. Arkansas River waterways are governed by the Corps of Engineers and that should include the bottom of the water as well, in my opinion.

I have waded plenty of times and never thought twice about it, as long as there is water in normal conditions, not considering flood stage or mud puddles. Normal pool levels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.