Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your preference and why? Personally, I prefer public. Most tracts of public land are huge compared to private. It lets me throw on a backpack and get away from people. It seems to me that all my friends who hunt private most of the time are really busy running corn feeders or planting fields to try and draw deer into their property. I locate bedding areas atleast a half mile from the road and never run into other people. I also do not have to deal with the headaches of running tresspassers off my land. That would drive me crazy. Sure there are plenty of idiots on public land but it has been my experience that most people like that seldom stray further than a few hundred yards from a road. I have never ran into them where I hunt. I have my own little deer spots tucked deep into public lands where I never see other people. I really like it. Anyways, just looking for some opinions and why.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I prefer public myself but since I like to hunt after work I'm on a lease that's close to my house. I have yet to see a single hunter in the woods where I hunt the ONF but have seen bunches on Tholder but I just move on to my next closest spot.

·
Premium Member
29,749 Posts
I own a little over 200 acres. I mostly hunt public and leave my land for my family. Other than my wife, the rest of them work - a lot - and don't have time to spend scouting. I spend a large amount of my life managing for deer on my place - and I gauge the success of my efforts on the size and numbers of deer frequenting my place. I would rather have one of my family members kill one of "my" deer than me. It makes me feel good when someone else comes to my place, has a good time, a succeful hunt, due to my efforts. However, I like to roam around, try different places, try different things. I am like the bride who took her bridesmaid along with her to pick out a wedding dress. The bride to be selected a floor length dress made of burlap and the bridesmaid asked - " shouldn't you get a dress that is a little more revealing" - and the bride said "no, my husband to be is an archeologist - he would rather look for it than find it". That is me - I would rather hunt for a deer than find it - be outside, trying to figure them out, trying new places and new things. My 200 acres is restricting - I am not one of those that can go hunt the same two or three stands all year. I probably hunt 20 different places. But, each to his own. :up:

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Most hunters would prefer private land hands down in my opinion. Less hunting pressure? Permanent stand sites? Real food plots? Mineral sites? Corn feeders? Private ponds? Gated access? Permanent camp sites and cabins? Etc.

I hunt 99.9% public land. I enjoy it and I have reasonable success. I will always do so. But I would jump at the chance to hunt private land.

Miketyson26 :flag:

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I hunt both......Lease in Texas is higher than a giraffes tail...so I bow hunt public.....Yet I don't want my kids hunting on public land with UNKNOWN Yahoo's with high powered rifles, so we belong to a deer camp in other states....

·
Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
3,133 Posts
Public, by far. Like Swampcat mentioned, hunting the same stands year after year is not for me. I did it for a long time, with little success.

I much prefer my public land hunts. I shot at one buck this year with my longbow. I saw three good bucks in about 10 sits. It does take over an hour for me to get to the stand, and an hour back, but in three years I've only had company once.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I think it depends on where you live.Public land in my area is too small of an acerage to be able to get away from folks. I grew up hunting public land.Now everytime I go which is once every few years,I always end up saying, What the heck was I thinking. Hands down Private for me.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I have 13 acres in Mtn View and hunt it as well as the public ground of Sylamore WMA. I've killed one wall hanger from each and seen ( on camera and with my own eyes ) several more from each place. I prefer the public because it hunts like private till november then the opening weekend its a crowded mofo but come monday its all mine again

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 13 acres in Mtn View and hunt it as well as the public ground of Sylamore WMA. I've killed one wall hanger from each and seen ( on camera and with my own eyes ) several more from each place. I prefer the public because it hunts like private till november then the opening weekend its a crowded mofo but come monday its all mine again
I am with you there. I hunt almost exclusively in Sylamore. I do a lot of computer scouting looking for areas that are atleast a mile away from a road. It is tough to find but man is it worth it. I hiked in almost three miles for opening day of rifle this year. Even on opening weekend, that area was all mine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I grew up hunting a 3500 acre family farm in north central Missouri, so I am spoiled and can't stand competition. We are down to 500 acres in Missouri, but it does the trick. I am adjusting to hunting public ground in Arkansas, not good with large tracks of timber or getting away from people. It's been a struggle to say the least. So my preference is private.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I hunt both every season and prefer private.
I bought a small piece to take my wife and son to be comfortable and make it easy as possible. Park the truck and walk 100 yards, climb in the box stand and kick back. We also have access to a few different larger tracts of private that offer a variety of scenery and can leave stands or blinds up through out the season without fear of theft or competition. I really don't like hunting public during gun season though.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I do both. I love hunting deer way more than the other way so I hunt em on the private land I got access to and once I know what is there and kill what I want I goto public land in search of more fun.
It dont take too long usually to know what is on 100 acres, where they are, what they do etc. Going public lets me stretch my legs some and have more options.

Either can be good, but I dont think I could just keep sitting the same stands on the private land after running my cam and hunting it 10 days or so. If I know there is a monster buck on it I might stay with it longer but if I dont have him on camera or see him or his sign Im ready to go look for a big one somewhere else.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Private hands down...

I have a 1200 acre lease all to myself and another 1400 that me and my dad both hunt as well as the land owners family but they only rifle and occasionally muzzle load hunt so we have it to our self most times. I have killed at least one 125"+ the last 5 consecutive years and my dad has a 155" on his wall. I will occasionally have to run off trespassers from time to time but its still more than worth it bc i run cameras and mineral pits year round and can watch the deer grow and be selective and i wouldnt have that opportunity on public land...

·
Registered
37,832 Posts
I'd probably prefer public if I lived in any other part of the state. Most public ground in most of the state has alot less pressure than private land in nea. Our parcels are small and way over hunted. All our public ground is fairly small too, and it sees alot more pressure than it should. The major drawback to private ground is you cant pick up and move to another spot if your hunting sucks. Once you've bought a place you're at the mercy of your neighbors.

·
Registered
15,069 Posts
I like public better
1 it's free or very little cost for permit
2 you can roam about as far as you want
3 there is more of a wild experience when you are on public in the Ouachitas
4 I don't have to abide by camp rules or calling the landowner to let them know I'm going to hunt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.