Public land to yourself

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by dash4cash, Dec 22, 2010.

1. dash4cash

dash4cash Well-Known Member

I hear alot of talk on here about how hunting public land is such a pain in Arkansas because of all the hunters. I was wondering if any of you hunt public land and have it all to yourself? I have a large area here in Wisconsin that my brother and I have hunted for the last 28 years and I can count the number of other hunters I have seen over the years on one hand, and it is public land. Is it like this during bow and gun season or more for the gun season?

Carl

2. jrw

jrw Well-Known Member

It is early but about this time of year don't seemanyout in the areas I hunt

3. michale34

michale34 Well-Known Member

last year the day after thanksgiving it was just me and one other hunter in a section at poison springs.

4. THExONE

THExONE Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting

I rarely see anyone in the public woods I hunt. Matter of fact I have only seen one person this year in the woods and we crossed paths on a well used trail.

5. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

i always see ppl outon Camp Robinson. not always in the area i am heading to but always see trucks when i drive in

6. arc3162

arc3162 Well-Known Member

In the little corner of muddy creek WMA I hunt I rarely ever see anyone drive through, much less other hunters. I guess most people are scared of steep hills and rocky terrain these days.

7. SR4

SR4 Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi

I rarely see other hunters on public land. The ones I have ran in to were nice and polite with one exception and I think he was kin to hobbshunter.:fit: Just kidding hobbs!

8. thomasw_lrd

thomasw_lrd Well-Known Member

I've got two spots the nobody ever deer hunts at. I rarely ever see hunters where I head, but I rarely hunt within a mile of any given road either. So yeah, it's all to myself.

9. I RARELY hunt public land. We have ample private land. But when I do hunt public land I have never ran into anyone. Only one time have I seen someone and he was tracking his deer. He walked right under me on a blood trail. He did not see me. When I asked him if he needed help he almost jumped out of his skin and I climbed down and helped him track his deer, since I seen it run thru. Really nice guy. We are actually hunting buddies now. But only once have I met a fellow hunter on public land which is in Russellville by the way.

10. green_head_getter

green_head_getter Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner

I have One time, only one other person. Wma only has 1 entrance also

11. BigBuckDown

BigBuckDown Well-Known Member

public land gets hammered during the permit hunts so the animals are skiddish the rest of the season.:banghead:

12. Hooked Spurs

Hooked Spurs Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what public land you hunt and likely what stage of season it is. I have seen some relatively small areas have 10 trucks lined along the road on opening day of bow season. For the most part, the pressure greatly lessens the later in the season it is. Most areas if you are willing to walk you can find areas to yourself as well.

13. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    If you get more than a couple hundred yards from the road you will leave 99% of the hunters behind you.

14. n2deer

n2deer Well-Known Member

You got that right I call them fair weather hunters.

15. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Hey Carl.

Public land is a little different here than up in the Badger State. I was so impressed by access to public land there.

Here it's different. You may have one road through a 7,000 acre block or 1,000 acres that you can't get to because some landowner placed cables to block entrance. I know of one case in particular where the state owns the land, the county built the road, but the landowner has it shut down and controls access to the area.

This is Arkansas. If you contribute to the right political party, shake the right hands, you can dictate the use of public property. You can pretty much claim what you want and let the public fight over the scraps that have easy access.

Some of the best Duck and Deer Hunting in the State owned WMA's on the Black River can't be hunted because Rice Farmers have leased their bordering property to individuals and have blocked all public access unless you want to walk through flooded timber for three miles. Can't cut boat runs...that's permitted only by companies that the State has sold timber rights to. Can't leave early to get there because possum cops and the State have instituted a "no early departure" limit on hunters chasing waterfowl. By the time you walk to these "honey holes" the guys hunting on the potlicking farmers land have limited out....but they will skybust for another few hours because they have no limit on the shells they can have.

Be proud that your State has made public ground more public. The public has easy access to only a fraction of the public ground here. It will stay that way as long as the FSF can make money off ducks.

16. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    :fit: You know how I'm such a tough-guy.

I didnt see another hunter in the woods until the gun permit hunts on Hobbs. Then I saw them almost every time. I was super nice to 4 of the 6 I bumped into then. I even let one guy shoot at a deer off my rest (he missed). Some does stepped out while we were sitting there BSing.

I have some spots that I think not many people get into. I have had some spots that used to be that way and arent anymore. One thing I have found about hunting spots is that they never seem to last forever no matter how good they are.

17. buckhorn

buckhorn Well-Known Member

If you don't mind the cold boat ride, there are a few spots in no mans land around Lake Ouachita.

18. hortonhunter

hortonhunter Well-Known Member

nea
    agreed takes month to settlem back down

19. nwa_bowhunter

nwa_bowhunter Well-Known Member

I hunted public land quite a bit this season and only ran into 1 hunter and he was nice (wanted to chat whereas I wanted him to move along so the woods would settle back down ). I prefer leased or private land so I can leave stands, cameras and feeders out.

20. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

After permit hunts it slows down some where I hunt. Usually, I don't see anyone. These areas get vacant. Either people are duck hunting or rifle hunting. Even some gets burned out. I hit it slightly this week, but will resume hitting it pretty hard next week.