Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am sure this has been discussed before.

If you are going somewhat deep in public land this is for you.

Climber, hang on or saddle?

What kind of pack are you using? When walking in that far you will have to pack any additional layers to put on after you cool down from the hike in. Also plenty of water and food will require a fairly large pack. Anyone carrying filming equipment?

What is your method of getting the deer out? Quartering and using pack to hike it out? Going back to truck first and emptying pack, then going back with pack to carry out? Going back to truck and getting a deer cart?

What is your method?

· Registered
Elite V37, muzzy broadheads
5,605 Posts
XOP loc on with xop hauling system straps. (3) 20" sticks and all sticks have single step aiders. I strap a backpack to stand to carry knife, pruning shears, and extra light, plus a small 1st aid kit in a zip lock bag. I put my 2 ropes (lineman and tether) in the pack and I wear my rock climbing harness. I keep 2 trash bags in the backpack and depending on how far I am from the truck I either walk out and unload everything and just take the pack back to haul out quarters. But if I am a ways back in I just quarter them up (look up a video on you tube of Chris Spikes) and put them in the pack and haul everything out at once.

· Registered
858 Posts
I’m taking a hang on. I’ve got a saddle that I don’t hunt out of much anymore. I’ve never had my hang on and wished I had a saddle but I have had a saddle and wished I had hang on. My wife got me an under the seat bag from lone wolf custom gear and a kifaru hellbender. I thought I would love the hellbender for packing in my stand but after using the small pouch that’s all I really want to use. I can take everything I need for a full days hunt in it and use the rubber twist ties for my outer layers. I would probably have to be going in over two miles before I considered being the pack in with me. Here is my mobile set up
Motor vehicle Plant Automotive tire Asphalt Gas

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Registered
Elite V37, muzzy broadheads
5,605 Posts
I’m taking a hang on. I’ve got a saddle that I don’t hunt out of much anymore. I’ve never had my hang on and wished I had a saddle but I have had a saddle and wished I had hang on. My wife got me an under the seat bag from lone wolf custom gear and a kifaru hellbender. I thought I would love the hellbender for packing in my stand but after using the small pouch that’s all I really want to use. I can take everything I need for a full days hunt in it and use the rubber twist ties for my outer layers. I would probably have to be going in over two miles before I considered being the pack in with me. Here is my mobile set up
View attachment 385366
View attachment 385367
How do you get one out?

· Member On Double Secret Probation
29,968 Posts
Generally my stand/sticks on my back, if it’s cold I’ll wedge my jacket in between my stand and sticks. Rangefinder around my neck, hand shears in one pocket with bow holder and grunt call in the other..

I’ll figure out how to get one out if I kill it

· Registered
858 Posts
How do you get one out?
I’ve got a kifaru hellbender frame pack and I walk back to the truck and get it then quarter the deer up and pack it out. Chances are I’m not gonna kill one every hunt so I’d rather be comfortable and efficient and just go back to the truck with my stands and sticks and come back with my my pack.

· Super Moderator
6,072 Posts
Usually a kelty backpack. I don't remember what model. Put a little extra clothes in it and water and snacks. I'll shoot anywhere from 1 to 4 deer in a sit and I go back to the truck to get a frame pack. Usually 1 to 1.5 deer per trip out. If I'm mainly planning on still hunting all day I don't carry anything. No water, snacks, nothing. Just the gun or bow. 3-5 miles back to the truck is less than an hour hike so I don't worry about carrying anything.

· Registered
56 Posts
I use a cheap military style pack to haul sticks and platform. Usually wear saddle in. If I'm lucky enough to kill one I keep a horn hunter full curl pack in the truck. It's loaded with game bags knive, sharpener, gloves, small hand saw. When I get home I just throw the meat on ice and I'm done.

· Registered
862 Posts
Hang on with 2 sticks and a webbing ladder. I also bring a small backpack that has a bow hanger, food and water, Binos, range finder, tether, safety harness, lineman’s belt and bow release. I put it on the stand and also pack extra clothes on the stand as well. One trip in, 1 trip out for me. I bring a strap also to drag the deer if I need to or I can pack it if needed

· Registered
352 Posts
What I've done is lock on with sticks on X2 pack. I may try to lighten that next season but the pack handles weight fine. Sometimes I pack layers inside or just strap between pack and stand depending on how many layers. If I'm hunting alone I walk back to the truck and bring sled or cart depending on terrain. If my brother is with me I send him a pin and say come help. I have done this with a saddle also but usually if I'm walking that far I'm planning on staying awhile and prefer the comfort of my stand over the saddle.

· Member-2018 Spring Team Turkey Contest Winner
2,368 Posts
Usually a kelty backpack. I don't remember what model. Put a little extra clothes in it and water and snacks. I'll shoot anywhere from 1 to 4 deer in a sit and I go back to the truck to get a frame pack. Usually 1 to 1.5 deer per trip out. If I'm mainly planning on still hunting all day I don't carry anything. No water, snacks, nothing. Just the gun or bow. 3-5 miles back to the truck is less than an hour hike so I don't worry about carrying anything.
Now that’s pretty amazing!
Shoot 1-4 deer in a sit.
No water no nothing.
3-5 miles one way.

· Super Moderator
6,072 Posts
Now that’s pretty amazing!
Shoot 1-4 deer in a sit.
No water no nothing.
3-5 miles one way.
Yes sir

My longest run to date. I started with a 1.5L hydration pack and a 0.5L handheld water bottle and about finished them both. Walking a few miles without a water bottle doesn't bother me :ROFLMAO:
Light Green Product Font Line

· Registered
5,953 Posts
Yes sir

My longest run to date. I started with a 1.5L hydration pack and a 0.5L handheld water bottle and about finished them both. Walking a few miles without a water bottle doesn't bother me :ROFLMAO: View attachment 385444
If I’m running 35 miles, my big ass will burn more than 4000 calories.

· Registered
14,603 Posts
Yes sir

My longest run to date. I started with a 1.5L hydration pack and a 0.5L handheld water bottle and about finished them both. Walking a few miles without a water bottle doesn't bother me :ROFLMAO: View attachment 385444
I assumed Wapiti was talking about shooting 1-4 deer per sit. That impresses me a lot more than covering 3-5m.

35m is just ridiculous, but kudos to you. I have a buddy who did a 100 miler, and he was telling me about peeing blood in the middle of the race. I didnt know how to react, but I was thinking...

· Super Moderator
6,072 Posts
I assumed Wapiti was talking about shooting 1-4 deer per sit. That impresses me a lot more than covering 3-5m.

35m is just ridiculous, but kudos to you. I have a buddy who did a 100 miler, and he was telling me about peeing blood in the middle of the race. I didnt know how to react, but I was thinking...
4 in one sit is my personal best, but I've shot 2 or 3 many times.

A 100 miler is a goal of mine.

· Registered
295 Posts
Lone Wolf Assault

I use a cart to get my deer out. Don’t like leaving the cart in the truck when I go a long ways in. Just stash it somewhere out of sight. 2021 season I hid my cart on some public after hanging a set. Killed a doe a couple mornings later and it was sure nice having it close by before recovering my deer

1 - 20 of 22 Posts